Find your future role
Senior Test Equipment Engineer
Begin your career with Leonardo, working on the most exciting projects within Defence!
Key skills required for this role
Electronics test, electronic engineering, fault-finding, test equipment, RF test
Position subject to security clearance and proof of 5-year UK residency.
At Leonardo, we have an opportunity for Senior Test Equipment Engineer. Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 7,000 are based in the UK.
The Radar and Advanced Targeting line of business, based in Edinburgh, is uniquely positioned as one of the world's top manufacturers of radars, lasers and infra-red countermeasure systems.
We are looking to recruit an experienced engineer to enhance our team. You will be joining Leonardo's Electronics Division and will provide engineering support to the Support and Services Solutions (CS3) business unit and the Product Support Group (PSG).
What you'll do a a Senior Test Equipment Engineer:
The role of Senior Test Equipment Engineer within Test Systems Engineering is key to delivering an effective support service to the various users of Test Equipment across the Edinburgh site. The role involves joining a team of engineers ensuring that calibration, repair, maintenance and safety testing activities are completed in a manner that maximises availability of the equipment in the Production Halls and Engineering Labs. The business areas of PSG Test Equipment support under your control are Laser, Radar, MEG, Mechanical Calibration activities and CS3.
You will be a good communicator both directly within your team and with all major stakeholders. A close working relationship should be developed with external partners and suppliers resulting in effective asset management. The ability to prioritise and balance workload within the team is required. An awareness of the activities that drive cost will be an important element of the role. This will involve optimising the periodicity of calibration and maintenance operations, identification and elimination of pattern faults to drive down repair costs and reviewing working procedures for quality and consistency. You will support production meetings, providing updates on PSG activities both WIP and pending that may or will have, reporting on PSG related activities and it affects Test Station down time.
What we need from you:
- An HNC / HND qualified in Electronic Engineering with experience in fault finding complex electronic systems and PC controllers. An understanding and experience of Accurate Measurement, Calibration & Metrology, would be advantageous but not essential.
- A range of skills will be required in this role. Experience of mixed technologies test equipment is required especially the ability to troubleshoot RF test equipment and knowledge of a wide range of computer PC hardware architectures and PC troubleshooting techniques will be required. Ideally have working experience in a Production Hall or Lab environments with experience of the maintenance requirements of general purpose and special-to-type test equipment. Strong knowledge on how to install and configure windows operating systems, install or upgrade windows drivers and PC data recovery.
- A close working relationship will be required with Test Equipment Design Authorities, Manufacturing Hall Supervisors and Equipment Operators to provide effective maintenance and successful closure of technical issues
- A knowledge of and be familiar with basic P.S.U. & Electronic Circuitry, TTL / CMOS Logic circuits, Pulse & Signal Generators, Analogue & Digital Oscilloscope's and Digital Multimeters. Have knowledge of DOS and all Microsoft Windows Operating Systems from Windows 3 through to Windows 11. Extensive knowledge of a wide range of computer PC hardware architectures and PC troubleshooting techniques, including data recovery from failing storage media.
- A reasonable understanding of basic Software, e.g. Word, Excel, etc. and possibly H.P. Basic (though not essential) would be of use.
- You must be eligible for full UK security clearance.
What we can offer you:
- Flexible Working: Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits: Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays: 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension: Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing: Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle: Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training: Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive: You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus: Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below