- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Cost Control Engineer
The Submarine Delivery Agency is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, the SDA supports Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
We are currently recruiting for a Cost Control Engineer to provide support across a range of assignments
Working within an exciting environment, this role offers the opportunity for you to work on significant Defence contracts which reach across a series of sub-functions within the SDA
The successful candidate will work with our partners on single-source-contracts by undertaking robust conversations in the pursuit of "Value for Money"
The projects are focused around In-Service Submarines and could range from supporting services/infrastructure to the implementation of leading, cutting-edge technologies.
* Review Contractors' proposals and assesses them against the Single Source Regulations Office (SSRO) Guidance for Single Source Contracting.
* Lead engagement with defence contractors, the customer and other DE&S stakeholders.
* Manage cost engineering investigations, guiding resourcing and planning.
* Oversee the output quality of cost engineering reports.
* Manages the analysis of bid data, guiding the investigation team in resolving deficiencies in the information provided
* Produce reports which summarise cost engineering investigations and provide guidance for negotiation.
* Implement direction and guidance from output assurors.
* Lead a team of cost engineers and provide mentoring and coaching to ensure continuous improvement.
* To communicate complex project cost engineering data to key member of the projects, programme and DE&S leadership in a simple and understandable way.
* To communicate and influence team member and leadership within DE&S Project and Supply chain within the Cost Engineering technical field
Please note, due to the nature of work, this post is open to Sole UK Nationals only.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Practical experience of cost management
* Demonstrable analytical and problem solving skills
* Demonstrable understanding of company systems including Finance/Production/Accounting/Budgeting/Estimating
* Knowledge of Basis of Estimate and Quality Assurance Processes
* Extensive knowledge of single-source contracting
It would benefit your application if you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge and experience which meets the standards required to gain 'Registered' Accreditation by the Association of Cost Engineers (ACostE) and willingness to work towards 'Incorporated' level.
* An interest in submarine technology and infrastructure
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Controlling a project
* Stakeholder Management
* Communicating and influencing
* Making effective decisions
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across DE&S, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.