- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Our client are looking for an experienced Planning Engineer to join their growing outage team, the role will be home based with site visits required across the UK.
Please note this role can be based at any of our power stations across the UK, as there will be a requirement to travel as a job need.
Working as a key member of the outage management team the Planning Engineer has a central role in ensuring that outage preparation and delivery is carried out in line with the Gated Process and Outage Planning Philosophy ensuring the successful completion of the outage, having accountability for all pre outage planning activities, and implementation of suitable monitoring and intervention to allow robust evaluation of the impact of delays and changes to an outage programme. The Planning Engineer will advise the Outage Manager on the appropriate mitigation to minimise commercial impact to the business caused by outage overruns and extensions.
- Work with the Outage Management team to produce the outage plan in line with both the Project Philosophy document and the Planning Philosophy document.
- Manage the evolution of the plan during the planning phase, including resources to deliver the scope of the outage, taking into account the risk of emergent works and associated outage overruns and mitigation to minimise costs of overruns
- Assist WPM's to determine resource levels required to deliver outage Workscope in given timescales.
- Carry out critical path analysis, and monitor these during the delivery phase of the project to assist with managing priorities.
- Provide the necessary information to the Outage Safety Rules Coordinator and Commissioning Manager to allow for cascade planning.
- Assist with the Development of the Outage Risk Register.
- Update the plan to ensure progress is understood and to identify movement in the key dates and key deliverables, ensuring the causes of changes are fully identified and communicated to allow for mitigation to be put in place.
Carry out communication tasks identified in the Planning Philosophy Document:
- Produce daily 7 day look ahead
- Produce Twice Weekly Progress Reports
- Generate adhoc progress reports as issues arise
- Provide support to the WPM's to evaluate changes in Workscope to feed into the change management process.
- Produce up to date resource profiles to allow work pack managers to control costs.
- Review all variance from baseline plan and integrate any identified changes into draft plans.
- Support the development and training of others in the planning philosophy and best practice.
- Ensure that all planning activities are completed in accordance with our clients Gated Process.
- Support and play a proactive role in the Project Management and Planning Network Group
As the role is a key part of ensuring the successful delivery of an outage, performance can be measured against outage success factors relating to cost, time and quality. There accountabilities associated with reporting and production of a plan will have key dates attached so performance can be measured against meeting these key dates.
Taking a leading role in championing and developing the outage planning philosophy for GT26 outages and supporting the development of these planning practices across our clients business. Working with the OCEG Project team to develop in house capability for delivering GT26 C Inspections. Including preparation for U4 C2 Inspection (either Q3 2017 or Q1 2018). Outages at Little Barford and Aberthaw.
Skills and experience
The role requires a minimum of a HNC in a relevant technical qualification, as well as a suitable project planning qualification such as APM Project Management Qualification. The role requires experience running large projects in a heavy engineering field. The ability to develop concepts into practice and robust processes and procedures and influence change are key skills that are required in this role.
Why work for our client
As well as a competitive salary and impressive benefits package you'll also get the opportunity to really shape the future of their business. Along the way they'll give you all the support you need to develop your skill set and achieve your long term ambitions.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.
Popular fields of work
Top in Engineering
- Lack of diversity fuelling skills gap in engineering workforce
With 85% of businesses making new hires and/or up-skilling existing staff to take advantage of digital technologies and auto...
- Engineers: the UK needs you!
Engineering companies in the UK need 265,000 new employees a year until 2024. But what sectors need the most engineers?