- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Senior Engineer- Hardware Specialist
Hardware specialists are required to work as part of a team of highly skilled engineers, developing state of the art electronic hardware for use in real time automotive and industrial high and low power applications.
Hardware specialists are required to work as part of a team of highly skilled engineers, developing state of the art electronic hardware for use in real time automotive and industrial high and low power applications. Typically applications include motor control inverters used in vehicle power train systems, high power DCDC systems and battery chargers. Work covers all parts of the hardware development lifecycle, from developing new ideas and concepts and requirements capture, designing , verifying and validating hardware all the way through to serial production.
Hardware specialists are required to possess a degree of self-discipline and initiative that will allow them to work unaided solving complex engineering problems that are required by the position. Our products contain a unique and challenging mixture of low and high power electronics, which requires a large amount of creative thinking on the successful candidate. The final hardware will be used in safety critical systems, so must be proven to be reliable to a high degree of rigour. The ability to spot potential problems and both lead and perform adequate testing at all levels of abstraction is essential.
- Working with sales, marketing and engineering to define product specifications
- Interpret customer and product specifications to produce hardware functional specifications
- Hardware system design and documentation
- Hardware safety
- Circuit design and analysis, testing and debuggin
- Management of type testing
- Provide technical input into product manuals/ data sheets
- Supervision and guidance of junior hardware engineers and technicians
- Support of applications engineering and production department for hardware design related issues
- Ensuring that hardware design follows company software and quality procedures
- Ensuring that hardware design meets relevant national and international procedures
Must have experience and skills in ALL of these areas below:
- Experience in at least one of the following:
- -For DCDC and battery charger applications, must have experience in hardware designs of SMPS, DCDC converters and battery chargers (preferably at power levels > 1kW) and magnetic design, analysis, specification and optimisation
- -For motor control inverter applications, must have experience in motor inverter design and development, IGBT/ MOSFETs and gate driver design
- Hands on debugging and analysis of hardware
- Thermal design and component selection
- High Voltage (>300V)
- Support / create PCB layouts
- Design to meet relevant safety standards
Desirable experience and skills:
- Analysis skills; FMEAs, tolerance analysis, reliability analysis etc.
- EMC standards and design, debugging of products to meet these
- Functional safety analysis, design and validation to standards such as ISO26262, IEC61508, D0178B or similar
- Automotive product development
- Development to relevant standards such as REG10, REG100, ISO16750, CISPR 25
- Design of production QTY's (>10k units per annum)
- Experience with CAD tools (Mentor Graphics (DX Designer, Expedition), SPICE, COMSOL, etc)
- Common microcontroller architectures, (Infineon Aurix,XMC family)
- Enthusiastic, flexible, honest, and keen approach to learning etc.
- Structured individual with good problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and able to deal with all levels of the organisation
- Must be able to work alone with minimum guidance, but also be able to operate effectively as part of a team of likeminded engineers
- Demonstrate resilience under pressure
- Flexibility to travel in UK and overseas
- BSc (Hons) in Electric and Electronic Engineering, BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or equivalent. 2:1 or higher grade
Relevant professional experience:
- Proven industry experience for senior engineer positions
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.
Popular fields of work
Top in Automotive
- Why the automotive industry needs more electrical engineers
As the focus of automotive companies turns towards the production of electric vehicles, the demand for electrical engineers...