- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Our client are a major naval technology business currently seeking a Hardware Engineer for their Electronic Engineering function. The role will cover Analogue and Digital design across their product range.
A hardware engineer works within the Electronics Functional Team to complete designs on time and to budget. Foreground activities include schematic capture, PCB layout, firmware and documentation. Cable design, wiring schedules and obsolescence management also form part of the day to day workload as well as reviewing designs.
A Hardware Engineer will be responsible for;
- Resolving technical problems associated with assigned products.
- Providing design solutions for electrical/electronic equipment, taking into account EMC and environmental constraints.
- Production of design documentation (include technical and design proving reports/CE compliance and Product Test Specifications).
- Identifying and helping manage technical risk in their area within projects and developments.
- Providing adequate constructive challenge in design reviews to identify and mitigate any key issues.
- Carrying out engineering activity in accordance with engineering procedures.
- PCB design using computer aided design tools.
- Firmware development.
- Selection of component parts and obsolescence management.
- Liaison with other engineering functions (mechanical, production, test, systems and software).
- Ensure compliance to customer and quality requirements.
- Provide support to other engineering functions during development and production.
- Investigation into faults down to component level.
- Be prepared to travel to support current and future products on customers sites around the world.
- Providing improvement suggestions for the processes and procedures you operate.
- Provision of practical engineering support to other activities within the business, where time and priorities permit.
- There may be additional activities to perform from time to time in order to maximise the contribution to the company's goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of Electronic Engineering best practices and common pitfalls.
- Broad knowledge of Electronic Engineering methodologies, processes and tools.
- Design for EMC compliance and Knowledge of EMC standards.
- Knowledge of electronics design safety standards such as BS EN 60950.
- Working knowledge / appreciation of Systems, Software and Mechanical engineering.
- Knowledge and understanding of design for manufacture
- High speed digital design
- Knowledge and understanding of full project life cycle
- Knowledge of fundamental commercial and financial issues.
- Knowledge of fundamental project management practices (e.g. Planning estimating, risk management et al).
- Demonstrable experience of electronics/systems design in the defence industry or other relevant environment
- Experience in design for EMC & signal integrity including schematic design and PCB layout
- Experience in the definition, design prototyping and commissioning of electrical subsystems including PCBs, Electronics racks / cabinets, cables and other electronic assemblies.
- Experience of component selection and an understanding of associated issues to include obsolescence.
- Schematic capture
- PCB layout
- Firmware development
- Good Communication and Presentation Skills (written and verbal).
- Good organisational skills.
- Willingness to embrace new technology.
- Ability to influence others where no formal relationship exists.
- Self-motivated with the ability to define and achieve goals.
- Use of Microsoft Office
- Ability to get the job done within agreed constraints.
- Ability to multi-task, including working on more than one project concurrently.
- Ability to manage technical risks effectively.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.