- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Protection Design Engineer
Our Energy client are looking for an experienced Protection Design Engineer who has an extensive Electrical background to join their growing team in Stevenage.
Responsible for developing and delivering engineering solutions from feasibility to detailed engineering designs for all Protection engineering for transmission and distribution networks (11kV and above) including substations and all other associated equipment. This will include providing the necessary basic and detailed engineering specifications and designs for projects, innovation, effective technical support, advice and input throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Advise on the development of pre-contract design and delivery of projects by leading/supporting the technical aspects of Networks and Plant Protection Systems, Network Automation and Substation Control Systems..
- Perform all duties with a strong emphasis on health, safety, quality and environment compliance and continuous improvement.
- Assess engineering documentation, feasibility and compliance with client requirements and support the preparation of accurate budgets for new projects. Advise on construction and outage programmes where required in relation to Control & Protection.
- Responsible for preparing basic and detailed engineering specifications and designs for Networks and Plant Protection Systems, Network Automation and Substation Control Systems, Telecommunication Networks and Metering.
- Responsible for providing technical assessment of tender submissions and reporting recommendations to client.
- Define main plant and ancillary apparatus requirements for input to System Construction Authorisation (SCA), Project Technical Specifications and BETTA documentation.
- Preparation/Review of Control & Protection drawings and specifications for construction/procurement. Control of correspondence and drawings to be issued to the Project Delivery and Pre-Contract Teams.
- Ensure Networks and Plant Protection Systems, Network Automation and Substation Control Systems and Telecommunication Networks are in accordance with current legislation, policies and operational requirements.
- Lead the technical resolution of site/ construction Control & Protection issues.
- Tender assessment of main equipment and materials (including suppliers), support to project management on the assessment of bids.
- Provide technical support to the Pre-Contract and Project Delivery teams on matters concerning the design, construction and operation of control and protection systems for substations and all other associated equipment.
- Preparation of project quality documentation following all client quality processes and provide and meet deliverables for PQP's.
- Maintain an awareness of technological advances and industry best practice. Assist with evaluation and apply 'new ideas', technical developments, new equipment and alternative-working methods to provide cost savings, efficiencies and improved safety.
- Contribute to training needs assessment for new products or similar and the development and delivery of technical, operational and safety packages for such products
- Liase across multi disciplinary engineering teams to provide end to end integrated solutions.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- Working towards membership of a professional institution.
Knowledge of Transmission Operator, REC or DNO Networks health and safety and technical requirements and compliance.
- A broad understanding of the market the business operates in.
- Proven experience / expert knowledge in design for the following control and protections areas at voltages from 11kV to 400kV:
- Substation and Network Control
- Good inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to form effective working relationships with other individuals, departments and businesses.
- Knowledge of health & safety requirements and compliance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Chartered Engineer or working towards this
- Skills in use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, AutoCAD.
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Proven experience in Control & Protection Design
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.
Popular fields of work
Top in Design Engineer
- Wylfa Newydd power station to create thousands of new jobs
What job opportunities could the Wylfa Newydd nuclear plant offer engineers?
- Rail jobs on the rise for engineers considering working on HS2
The new vision for a £286m revamp of Birmingham International station has been unveiled and it promises thousands of job opp...