- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Due to an increase in workload my client are looking for several experienced Commissioning Engineers to work on projects across the Surrey, Sussex and Kent region.
The post holder is seen as a technical expert and point of reference and he/she is expected to carry out commissioning testing of substation equipment and in particular protection equipment to ensure network capital investment is safe and fit for purpose.
Commissioning Engineers are central to leading other technical staff on site
On very large projects the post holder may be a senior commissioning engineer providing technical leadership to colleagues.
The post holder does not supervise any staff directly but there is technical supervision of two to five contractors and consultants.
The post holder would be expected to commission between five and twenty projects annually within his/her area of responsibility. The cost of these projects ranges up to £10's of millions.
The post holder has no FAL level of authority. The post holder does not have any direct budgetary or staffing responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
New post holders have a degree in electrical engineering. Very experienced staff at least a minimum of Higher National HNC/HND qualification and the Power System Protection Course.
The post holder is likely to have a substantial network operational experience as an Authorised Person (AP) of which a relevant time would be as a commissioning engineer and as a Senior Authorised Person (SAP).
Alternative route(s), in terms of demonstrating the competence of a Commissioning Engineer, could be an HNC in electrical power engineering, a development plan, proven track record of working as a commissioning engineer gaining operational experience to become SAP and having completed wide ranging job experience.
This is a complex field requiring high technical understanding and proficiency and will include the ability to apply practical engineering sense from first principles using a logical disciplined approach to problem solving.
Additional IT skills will allow interaction from lap top to complex modern relay schemes to programme, test, extract fault records and interpret results with a right first time approach.
Demonstrate the ability to understand and rationalise conflicting points of view to reach an optimum solution.
- Ensures high standards of safety management prevail throughout all areas of responsibility and that safety performance is maintained within parameters defined by the Executive. Promote the zero harm philosophy.
- The post holder is required to put people to work in accordance with the appropriate Company procedures. In addition, the post holder may, subject to the appropriate operational authorisation, have particular duties and responsibilities under the Distribution Safety Rules. Full compliance with these and associated Codes of Practice, Approvals and Engineering Instructions must be made to ensure that People are put to Work safely.
- Plans, manages and coordinates the programme of commissioning work testing and plant acceptance testing leading to safe energisation and successful project completion for both internal and external customers.
- Develops and agrees commissioning plans and programmes for projects applying sound engineering knowledge to set standards and ensure through and complete testing of new schemes.
- During commissioning testing, diagnose problems and propose modifications to scheme design to provide desired operability.
- Provides technical expertise at design reviews
- Checks and applies software programmable logic and settings to protection schemes checking operation, and making adjustments to the scheme logic.
- As a recognised expert, investigates, advises, diagnoses and corrects mal operations that occur during the life of the equipment. Draws on the skills of senior commissioning engineers and collaborates with technical experts in other organisations to propose the root cause and to develop permanent solutions to the issues. Often this is required to tight timescales when network equipment has failed in service.
- Working with Network Control, plans and authorises safe energisation of plant on to the network. Ensures that all settings applied to relays are confirmed back into the company database before energisation. All as-built records are completed by contractors and employees to ensure records of work are maintained.
- To witness contractors' testing and to coordinate the use of test sheets, test routines and policy applied throughout the 3 licensed areas.
- On standby for a licensed area to act as the sole operational response to a diversified problem solving using judgement and gathering facts to establish a view of the risks before recommending and implementing a solution.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.