- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
NATS is a leading air navigation services specialist, handling 2.2 million flights in 2013/14, covering the UK and eastern North Atlantic.
Marshall Installation Engineer
NATS, in partnership with Thales, has been awarded the Project MARSHALL contract from the Ministry of Defence (MOD). This involves the delivery of a comprehensive set of Air Traffic Management (ATM) systems across approximately 100 Ministry of Defence airfields and service delivery sites in the UK and several overseas locations.
PURPOSE OF THE RADIO COMMUNICATIONS ENGINEER
Responsible for all the onsite ATC UHF and VHF radio communication system installation, commissioning and acceptance activities delivered within the airfield transmitter and receiver sites, throughout the asset replacement phase of the Project MARSHALL contract (2015 to 2021).
- As the site focal point for all site activity, plan, manage and execute all installation, commissioning and acceptance activities ensuring these are delivered to the required timescale and quality to ensure any potential risk to the customer ATC operation is mitigated as far as possible
- From the site survey and any further site liaison visits, document the proposed detailed radio installation and transition plan for that site and communicate this effectively to the customer and NATS supply chain.
- Lead and assist in the ATC communication system installation and acceptance test activities
- Use of extensive Radio Communications equipment experience to investigate and problem solve any issues that arise through the onsite installation and commissioning activity
- Produce and update all communication system as built drawings, installation schedules and commissioning/acceptance results to the required NATS and customer standard
- Closely liaise with the customer, project office, Military Aviation Authority and installation/acceptance team colleagues to arrange existing communication system outages and provide general progress reports to ensure all are aware of the current installation/acceptance status
- The post holder is required to plan and deliver the installation, commissioning and acceptance of ATC radio communication systems.
- The post holder will contribute to the successful transition of new ATC radio communication equipment into operational service at each radio site in addition to his/her systems engineer and installation technician colleagues.
- The post holder will need to be able to work as part of a team or unsupervised using their own initiative.
- Due to the nature of the Project MARSHALL new ATC radio communication equipment rollout strategy across many MOD sites, flexibility to work outside of normal working hours (nights and weekends) and able to consistently work away from home (in the UK and overseas) each week is essential.
- The post holder may on occasion be required to deliver structured maintainer training for the new ATC communication systems and this will be delivered in accordance with NATS procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & PERSONAL QUALITIES
- The applicant is expected to hold, as a minimum, a HNC (or an equivalent qualification) in an Engineering related discipline and have relevant engineering experience within ATC radio communication systems.
- Considerable experience of ATC radio and voice communication systems is essential and the installation/acceptance activities associated with transitioning this equipment into operational service is desirable.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to present information accurately and succinctly to customers and suppliers who may not have the same level of operational engineering understanding.
- Good inter-personal skills to ensure the customer, project office and the other members of the onsite team are kept up to date with progress and any issues that arise whilst the installation and acceptance activities are taking place.
- Good knowledge of working in a safety critical environment desirable.
- Awareness of Construction Design & Management (CDM) regulations and MOD Joint Service Publications
- Must be able to work as part of a team or unsupervised using own initiative.
- Hold a full UK drivers license.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in Engineering
- Lack of diversity fuelling skills gap in engineering workforce
With 85% of businesses making new hires and/or up-skilling existing staff to take advantage of digital technologies and auto...
- Engineers: the UK needs you!
Engineering companies in the UK need 265,000 new employees a year until 2024. But what sectors need the most engineers?