- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Principal Chartered Geotechnical Engineer
Our client is a London based multidisciplinary international design and engineering consultancy firm. The team are currently looking for a Principal Chartered Geotechnical Engineer to join their well-established Geotechnical team.
The company provide customer-focused engineering and technical solutions to clients on major engineering construction projects worldwide. They are involved in schemes through its full life-cycle including capital programme and project investment; financing; development; planning; detailed design; independent design checking; design and interface management; execution; engineering; value engineering; technical advisory services; and construction supervision services. The companies origins date back to 1838, making us one of the oldest civil engineering consultancy companies in the UK.
Professionally qualified and Chartered Civil Engineer, ideally with a post graduate qualification in a geotechnically related subject.
- Extensive knowledge of Eurocodes and other relevant national and international industry standards, contracts, methodologies and procedures
- Substantial experience at Assignment Manager and Designer level with a proven capability and record of managing and delivering assignments to programme and budget
- Able to manage the legal and contractual aspects of Engineering contracts
- Strong knowledge of geotechnical and engineering geological processes and design, with a particular emphasis on data interpretation, design & analysis, construction and advanced numerical modelling
- Detailed geotechnical design experience including deep and shallow foundations (vertical and lateral capacity, settlement), deep excavations, basements, retaining structures, earthworks, soil and rock slope engineering, ground improvement, seismicity and liquefaction and instrumentation and monitoring
- Ground investigation experience including design, preparation of tender documents, supervision, interpretation
- Geomorphologic, coastal and maritime experience would be beneficial
- Understanding of the standard basic engineering work planning, scheduling and cost estimating
- Experience predominantly in large scale (c.£100m+), high profile infrastructure projects, for a range of UK and international Clients in various construction market sectors
- Ability to build, maintain and develop relationships with key clients
- People management experience e.g. general employee welfare, carrying our appraisals, training and development, involvement in resourcing and recruitment activities
- Technical: Proven technical skills and knowledge, able to provide innovative solutions. Encourages the team to keep relevant on technical developments and the broader industry. Actively develops own professional persona in the industry
- Communication: Strong interpersonal skills; ability to communicate, listen and influence all levels of people effectively. Excellent reporting / writing and strong presentation skills. Able to judge audience and communicate technically complex matters to all stakeholders
- Critical Thinking: Ability to think and act operationally and strategically, understands the bigger picture and commerciality of a situation, both for the project and Company
- Team: Able to lead, contribute to and collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams in a matrix environment. Able to leverage the wider team and encourages a culture of cross skill/function collaboration
- Leadership: Acts as a role model and standard setter. Able to proactively coach, mentor and enable others to develop individual skills and broaden the capabilities and competencies within the company
- Project Management: Driven to deliver success with a proven ability to plan long term and manage large/complex budgets, projects and programmes of work to agreed targets. Able to communicate a clear direction and individual roles and understands the importance of learning from successes and failures
- Business Acumen: Able to articulate the business strategy and how individuals contribute to delivering it in a meaningful way. Seeks opportunities across the business, not just in their area of expertise.
- Languages: proficient in foreign languages (particularly French and Spanish) is an asset
- Expert user of 2D and 3D finite element analysis software (e.g. PLAXIS, Z-soil)
- Proficient user of other geotechnical software (WALLAP, LPile, GPile, DPile, SlopeW, gINT, or equivalent)
- Excellent Microsoft Office Abilities (particularly Excel, C+++)
Self-starter, committed with a high degree of integrity
- Convincing in terms of a capacity to translate objectives into effective practical steps
- Demonstrates a strong need to achieve, setting high standards for self and others. Committed to the value of own role, takes initiative and focuses on improving personal and business performance
- Demonstrates willingness and flexibility of availability to meet business needs
- Able to perform effectively within changing environments; modifies own behavioural style to achieve results
The company have had success in global construction markets, providing technical solutions for many complex infrastructure projects, notably bridges, geotechnical, highways, ports and maritime, rail systems, tunnels (including immersed tube tunnels) and buildings.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in Engineering
- Lack of diversity fuelling skills gap in engineering workforce
With 85% of businesses making new hires and/or up-skilling existing staff to take advantage of digital technologies and auto...
- Engineers: the UK needs you!
Engineering companies in the UK need 265,000 new employees a year until 2024. But what sectors need the most engineers?