- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Assistant Clerk of Works
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to make the switch to a client-focused role to help develop a career as a Clerk of Works, as well as obtaining additional qualifications.
Our Essex based client is seeking an Assistant Clerk of Works to assist the existing Clerk of Works team with delivering the implementation of Large Scale Strategic developer funded highway schemes.
- This role is to assist the existing Clerk of Works team in the inspection of developer led highway related projects. You will work with support from the team but will also be expected to work on your own but under guidance as required.
- The role involves undertaking site based quality inspections relative to new road construction and alterations to the existing highway maintainable at public expense in order to validate its compliance with the approved drawings/specification, best practice and programme. Responsibility for ensuring all materials used meet our testing requirements.
- To provide timely and accurate advice to County Councillors, District Members, Parish Councils and the general public on all highway-related matters as required.
- To produce weekly detailed reports and identify remedials and non-compliance to drawings as works proceed.
- The checking of all Traffic Management layouts providing advice on construction methods to minimise impact on the network in liaison with the NRSWA Team
- Monitor works for compliance with approved drawings/specification and are constructed in accordance with the Development Construction Manual, Design Manual of Roads and Bridges, NRSWA 1991 and TMA 2004 requirements. Inspections to vary according to complexity of scheme. Ensure all setting out is correct and that works are of a high standard.
- Will be required to carry out site safety audits on developer S278 and Work Permit schemes within the adoptable highway.
- Ensure that works meet the standard required in the relevant specification which will include obtaining samples of materials so that they can be tested and analysed. All work should meet the requirements of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 and other construction/H&S related law
- To observe the contractor's operational compliance with Health and Safety legislation and to bring to their immediate attention all noted instances of non-compliance.
- Undertake site inspections for residential vehicle crossings countywide.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Have a trade certification or civil engineering qualification or working towards.
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- The role requires you to work towards Membership of the Institute of Clerk of Works.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation as it affects works on the highway including. Construction, Design and Management Regulations 2015, Chapter 8 and other related legislation.
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme Yellow 'Regular Visitors' card holder as a minimum
- Have a NRSWA accreditation Supervisor Certificate, or some units achieved.
- Knowledge of Highway Authority and Local Government policies, practices and procedures in relation to highways maintenance.
- Good IT skills encompassing the use of remote data capture device and inspection recording systems and Auto Cad.
- Experience of dealing with contractors, Members of the public and Cabinet Members.
- Must be flexible with regard working location and patterns as the role involves sites all over Essex with the potential for occasional night working.
- Must be adaptable and willing to accept new challenges including involvement with other roles in the External Construction team.
- Must be able to drive with a full driving licence.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.