- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Assistant Technical Highways Director
Our client is a London based multidisciplinary international design and engineering consultancy firm. The team are currently have an exciting opportunity for a Highways Assistant Technical Director to join their well-established Highways team.
The company provide customer-focused engineering and technical solutions to clients on major engineering construction projects worldwide. They are involved in schemes through its full life-cycle including capital programme and project investment; financing; development; planning; detailed design; independent design checking; design and interface management; execution; engineering; value engineering; technical advisory services; and construction supervision services. The companies origins date back to 1838, making us one of the oldest civil engineering consultancy companies in the UK.
The company have had success in global construction markets, providing technical solutions for many complex infrastructure projects, notably bridges, geotechnical, highways, ports and maritime, rail systems, tunnels (including immersed tube tunnels) and buildings.
The companies highways team leads and manages highways projects and provides support to infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects covering transport systems (roads, bridges & tunnels), ports & maritime, rail systems, buildings and power. The position will involve taking a leading technical role as part of the delivery team and include undertaking and checking the delivery of the design solution and associated outputs for the project.
Roles & Responsibilties:
Lead and undertake assignments in the UK and internationally. Organise and manage technical staff, acting as a line manager supporting recruitment, training, CPD and implementation of 'Best Practice' and procedures
- Act as assignment manager overseeing technical delivery, commercial aspects, financial controls (forecasting & budgeting), planning, resourcing and troubleshooting
- Assist Market Sector Directors to identify and develop business opportunities, produce tenders and build client relationships
- Assist and support a high level of technical capability within the highways skill area to ensure appropriate resources for the successful delivery of assignments in the UK and overseas, to maximise fee income and resource utilisation
- Take an active role in the Company's Graduate Development programme
- Provide technical leadership in design projects from inception to handover. Liaise with clients about technical solutions in the delivery of highways engineering to stakeholders (including technical and non-technical clients), including the production of feasibility studies where required
- Assisting with the organisation and management of the technical staff, acting as a line manager as required, mentoring fellow engineers, supporting staff recruitment, training, CPD and implementation of 'Best Practice' and procedures
- Ensure successful delivery of projects by working collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Adopt procedures for standardisation of work products and deliverables, and peer review to ensure consistency and excellence in service delivery of the Company's technical work product
- Promote cross functional working linked to assignments and skill group activities
- Have an understanding and awareness of the company values and business plan and your contribution to both
- Implement and adhere to Company procedures in the management, delivery and administration of Services
- Observe and maintain Company Health and Safety Policy across all activities
Experience and Qualifications:
- Chartered Civil Engineer with substantial experience with highways projects of various scale and design stages
- Extensive working knowledge of relevant national and international highway related standards and specifications (e.g. DMRB, MCHW, AASHTO or similar), contracts (e.g. ICE, NEC, and FIDIC), methodologies, procedures and best practice
- Hands-on pavement and road drainage design experience
- Proficient in the use of MX Road or Open Roads
- Substantial experience at Assignment Manager and Design Engineer level with a proven capability and record of delivering assignments to programme and budget
- A thorough understanding of the construction process and parties involved including principals of project and programme management
- Experience predominantly in medium to large scale high profile infrastructure projects, for a range of UK and international Clients in various construction market sectors
- Ability to build, maintain and develop relationships with key clients
- People management experience e.g. general employee welfare, carrying our appraisals, training and development, involvement in resourcing and recruitment activities
- Ability to identify appropriate opportunities and prioritise efforts in securing these to achieve targets
For more information regarding the Highways team structure and future ambition, please get in touch.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.