- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Rail Systems Engineer
To assist the development of all aspects of the railway system development to support submission of the Hybrid Bill.
- Acts as the interface between HS2 Phase 2B and the Railway Operations Directorate.
- Ensures the Hybrid Bill designs for HS2 Phase Two meets the requirements of the 'end state' railway in terms of operability and reliability.
- Provisions expert technical and engineering input from a railway systems perspective to support the Hybrid Bill design through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests.
- Interfaces with the three area teams, drawing on expertise from within HS2 to inform and support Civil PSCs in delivering the whole railway system.
- Facilitates the interface between Technical Directorate and the area teams ensuring design development and issues are consistently addressed in the Rail Systems discipline.
- Identify, assess and manage project wide design risks in conjunction with the dedicated risk team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Chartered engineer (or equivalent relevant experience).
- Knowledge of railway operations / engineering design principles required to achieve optimal design outputs.
- Knowledge of conventional railway systems and an appreciation of High Speed railway systems and their differences.
- Ability to carry out robust independent checks on a wide variety of designs and produce, interpret and assess specifications, standards and technical reports.
- Ability to resolve complex design problems, demonstrating a tenacious approach to tackling problems whilst maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skills.
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of stakeholders through working within a matrix organisation.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, and the ability to deliver under pressure to meet tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
FACTS AND FIGURES
The Rail Systems team has a budgetary responsibility up to a value of £1million per annum and indirect impact on overall HS2 budget through implementation of railway system requirements.
The Rail Systems Engineer works within the Central Engineering Team providing an essential specialist engineering role. This role involves extensive interaction with multidisciplinary teams across engineering functions as well as supporting the link between the area teams and Technical Directorate.
Rail Systems work is not allocated in relation to a specific section of the route and instead involves coordination and interface between internal and external third party projects. The role involves regular travel to meetings and events outside the normal place of work, and may require flexible working in order to meet project deadlines.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in Infrastructure
- Why the UK needs more construction workers
The UK is set to fall short on its target of building 300,000 new homes. Find out what this means for construction workers i...
- 5 qualities that make a great highway engineer
What do the best highway engineers have in common? Joe Wilson, Department Manager of Highways at Matchtech, shares the top q...