- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Senior Civil/Structural Engineer - Nuclear/Defence
Matchtech's client requires Senior Civil & Structural Engineers - ideally with nuclear/defence experience, looking to work in a technically challenging environment - to join their Glasgow and Barrow-In-Furness teams.
Working in Nuclear and Defence, you will be involved in delivering structural designs and analysis/assessment studies in a multi-discipline environment. The team includes a wealth of experience and expertise in seismic engineering, structural dynamics, finite element analysis and numerical modelling. Sharing of knowledge and learning of new skills is actively encouraged.
The client's projects involve designing and assessing complex structures to resist variable and dynamic effects from earthquakes, dropped loads and impacts, vibrating machinery, mechanical handling, explosions, extreme environmental loading and fire. This requires a fundamental understanding of engineering principles and the considered application of numerical analysis techniques, for example modelling ductile behaviour, 'beyond design basis' response, soil-structure-interaction, and non-linear buckling behaviour. Also required is an understanding of how structural performance contributes to the critical safety function of nuclear facilities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Technical quality and excellence of your work and the work of those working under you
- Technical and professional guidance, support and development of more junior engineers and technicians
- Communication with clients and other design team members
- Project planning, delivery and financial performance
- Business development activities including preparation of proposals
- Adherence and contribution to business and quality management systems
- Operational and design safety, and developing good safety culture
- Broad experience in civil engineering design and construction
- Good all-round technical design expertise using British and international standards, and/or Eurocodes
- Experience in the management of preparation of drawing and project deliverables
- Good understanding of structural theory and strong analytical skills, with proven problem solving ability
- Good verbal and written communication, and report writing skills
- Ability to lead design aspects of projects including managing quality, budget, programme and resources
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients and other design team members
- Good, accredited MEng degree in Civil Engineering or similar
- Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer or be working towards chartered status.
- Experience of structural dynamics, including designing for seismic, blast and impact load effects
- Experience of assessing soil-structure-interaction
- Experience of numerical analysis software
- Experience of fire engineering
- Nuclear industry experience and experience of safety case documentation
- Experience of 3D modelling
- All staff are required to obtain SC level security clearance
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.
Popular fields of work
Top in Civil Engineering
- Construction sector growth set to create more jobs
The UK construction sector looks set to grow in the back half of this year and into next. Find out what this means for job o...
- HS2 plans to recruit more women and ethnic minority engineers
The Year of Engineering is the perfect time to create a more diverse workforce. Here’s how the government proposes to use HS...