- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
You will work closely with the Principal Designer and take responsibility for the mechanical design of a component. Additionally, you will attend graduate development training to build your transmission and engine design experience and knowledge.
To be a part of the transmission design team, responsible for component design in a wide range of Transmission & Driveline products which consist of complex mechanical systems and components. For example, gears, shafts, park lock and shift actuation systems within products such as passenger car DCTs, hybrid transmissions and off-highway transmission systems. There are also possibilities to work in other disciplines such as engines, vehicle, test and development engineering due to the variety of work carried out at Ricardo.
The Design Engineer will work closely with the Senior/Principal Designer and take responsibility for the mechanical design of a component as identified by the Senior/Principal Designer or Engineering Manager. Additionally, you will attend graduate development trainings (if necessary) to rapidly increase your transmission and engine design experience and knowledge.
Passionate about mechanical design and is able to create or learn how to create 3D models and 2D drawings using computer aided design software.
Roles and Responsibilities
* To work in a variety of market sectors from passenger cars to industrial and defence markets
* You will be required to create 3D models, perform basic stress and mechanical design calculations as well as carry out 2D detailing for components such as gears and shafts, shift systems and test rigs, all with guidance when required
* Take responsibility for BOM management and produce 2D assembly drawings
* Be able to highlight possible technical risks with your component and surrounding sub systems to the Principal/Chief Designer or Engineering Manager
* Take responsibility for the quality of your own work, delivering within project deadlines
* Create technical reports illustrating form and function of your design
* Work with manufacturing and process engineers to ensure components are designed for manufacture
* Carry out design change requests as per process in a timely manner
* Liaise with suppliers and other Ricardo departments to ensure the required information is available when needed and customer requests are dealt with in a timely manner
* Responsible for reporting progress of all assigned tasks to the project management team
* Keeping up to date and dissemination of:
o Latest manufacturing techniques and drawing standards
o Latest technology trends
o Latest developments in design tools
Degree (Bachelor or Masters) in mechanical engineering or similar field or with equivalent experience
A-Level Maths and Physics or equivalent qualification
Minimum of 1 years' experience of working in a Mechanical Design Engineering role. Experience gained from internships or summer placements would also be considered
3D CAD skills with one or more major CAD systems (e,g CREO, CATIA, NX)
Ability to produce basic 2D drawings including GD&T for manufacture
An understanding of transmission or hybrid driveline design and function is strongly preferred
Able to analyse FEA results and adapt designs accordingly
Experience of using Finite Element Analysis packages such as Creo Simulate would be beneficial
An understanding of other Engineering functions such as hydraulics, development, test, assembly and control systems would be beneficial
Competent in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint
Confident proactive character, ability to take the lead in challenging situations
Excellent communication skills, dealing with other employees and external clients in English
Self-motivated and able to learn in-house software with support from colleagues
Effective problem solving capabilities
Committed to undertaking professional development
Ability to work to tight deadlines
Able to travel to support Ricardo's worldwide client base where appropriate
Working at Ricardo
* Become part of a world class Engineering company located at Ricardo MTC in the heart of the UK automotive industry, a short distance from the pleasant Regency spa town of Leamington Spa
* There are opportunities to work at other Ricardo sites across the world as well as travelling abroad to meet and work with the customer
* Ricardo offers project variety and the opportunity to learn and gain experience in current and new disciplines. Ricardo's projects encompass many different customer markets and highly varied product sectors e.g. automotive, heavy duty, off highway, industrial, agricultural, military, oil and gas, aerospace, energy generation, rail, marine etc. and any or all project phases, from clean sheet to production
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.
Popular fields of work
Top in Automotive
- Why the automotive industry needs more electrical engineers
As the focus of automotive companies turns towards the production of electric vehicles, the demand for electrical engineers...
- Automotive engineers required to pioneer new car safety technology
From automatic braking to lane keep assists, find out how automotive engineers are designing potentially life-saving systems