- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Principal Transmission Design Engineer
You will work closely with the Chief Designer and take lead of a design team to deliver a particular mechanical system or complete product. You will also assist the Engineering Manager in coaching other Design Engineers.
To be a part of the transmission design team, responsible for leading the mechanical design and delivery of a wide range of Transmission & Driveline products which consist of complex mechanical systems and components. For example, gears, shafts, park lock and shift actuation systems within products such as passenger car DCTs, hybrid transmissions and off-highway transmission systems.
Experienced breadth and depth to technical leadership.
Roles and Responsibilities
* To work in a variety of market sectors from passenger cars to industrial and defence markets
* Lead the mechanical design and integration of complex components and systems from clean sheet to detail 2D drawings. For example; transmission casings, hydraulic valve block castings, shift systems, launch devices, gear, shaft and bearing arrangements, all with minimal guidance
* Carry out mechanical design work including 2D layouts, 3D CAD modelling, stress and mechanical design calculations, FMEAs, 2D detailing and tolerance stacks, agreeing the design approach with the project Chief Designer
* Provide innovative solutions to technical design challenges
* Identify and highlight technical risks to the Chief Designer or Engineering Manager
* Take responsibility for the quality of technical work undertaken by the project team (4+ Engineers) whilst meeting time and cost targets
* Create professional technical reports for engineering projects and present to the client
* Responsible for preparing and presenting mechanical designs at design reviews
* Work closely with manufacturing and process engineers to ensure products are designed for manufacture
* Checking and approval of 2D drawings for manufacture and assembly
* Carry out/manage design change requests as per process in a timely manner
* Liaise with suppliers and other Ricardo departments to ensure the required information is available when needed and customer requests are dealt with in a timely manner
* Responsible for reporting progress of all assigned tasks to the project management teams, Chief Designer or Engineering manager
* Supports business proposal generation and can advise on mechanical design content, timing and resource requirements
* Identify opportunities to innovate and suggest R&D topics for further study
* Able to take on project roles such as Chief Designer as required and dependent on project type
* Take responsibility for coaching and mentoring Design Engineers in design techniques and departmental processes
* Undertake process improvement activities in order to develop and implement design best practice guidelines
* Keeping up to date and dissemination of:
o Latest manufacturing techniques and drawing standards
o Latest technology trends
o Latest developments in design tools
Degree (Bachelor or Masters) in mechanical engineering or similar field or with equivalent experience
7 years minimum, typically 10 years of experience in Mechanical Design Engineering including the successful delivery of multiple mechanical design products
Broad range of mechanical design knowledge, specializing in Transmission and Driveline systems. Knowledge of powertrain electrification would be beneficial
Proficient 3D CAD skills with one or more major CAD systems (e,g CREO, CATIA, NX)
Proficient in 2D detailing including GD&T
Design for prototype and production manufacture as well as assembly
Competent in Windchill or other PLM systems
Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint
Experience in Mathcad would be beneficial but not required
Leadership of a small product design team (4 minimum)
Able to analyse FEA results and adapt designs accordingly. Experience of using finite element analysis packages such as Creo Simulate would be beneficial
An understanding of other Engineering functions such as hydraulics, development, test, assembly and control systems would be beneficial
An understanding of IP and experience of patent searching and reading would be beneficial
Confident proactive character, ability to take the lead in challenging situations with minimum supervision
Excellent communication skills, dealing with other employees and external clients in English
Self-motivated with an appreciation for transmission and driveline systems
Effective problem solving capabilities and ability to work to tight deadlines
Committed to undertaking professional development
Able to travel to support Ricardo's worldwide client base
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in Automotive
- 4 engineering feats that changed America forever
Engineering has had a lasting and continuous impact on American civilisation. We look at 4 examples of amazing engineering w...
- The new skills automotive companies are seeking from engineers
A revolution is taking place in the automotive industry and as a result, the skills employers are looking for in engineers a...