- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive Search
Associate Geotechnical Director
Our client is a London based multidisciplinary international design and engineering consultancy firm. The team are currently looking for a Associate Geotechnical Director to join their well-established team as part of the delivery team.
The company provide customer-focused engineering and technical solutions to clients on major engineering construction projects worldwide. They are involved in schemes through its full life-cycle including capital programme and project investment; financing; development; planning; detailed design; independent design checking; design and interface management; execution; engineering; value engineering; technical advisory services; and construction supervision services.
The company have had success in global construction markets, providing technical solutions for many complex infrastructure projects, notably bridges, geotechnical, highways, ports and maritime, rail systems, tunnels (including immersed tube tunnels) and buildings. The geotechnical team provides support to infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects covering transport systems (roads, bridges & tunnels), airports, ports & maritime, rail systems, buildings and power.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will lead and undertake assignments in the UK and overseas ensuring the delivery of high quality outputs as well as;
- Assist and support a high level of technical capability within the skill area as may be required to deliver the service offerings targeted
- Provide technical leadership in design projects from inception to handover. Liaise with clients about technical solutions in the delivery of geotechnical engineering to stakeholders (including technical and non-technical clients), including the production of feasibility studies where required
- Assist with the organisation and management of the technical staff (appropriate to skill), acting as a line manager when required, mentoring fellow engineers, supporting staff recruitment, training, CPD and implementation of 'Best Practice' and procedures
- Take an active role in the Company's Graduate Development programme
- Promote cross functional working linked to assignments and skill group activities
- Assist in providing appropriate resources for the successful delivery of assignments in the UK and overseas, maximising fee income
- Adopt procedures for standardisation of work products and deliverables, and peer review to ensure consistency and excellence in service delivery of the Company's technical work product
- Maintain strong relationships with other disciplines within the firm and promote cross functional working
- Observe and maintain Company Health and Safety Policy across all activities
- Act as assignment manager overseeing technical delivery, commercial aspects, financial controls (forecasting & budgeting), planning, resourcing and troubleshooting.
- Assist Company to source and develop business opportunities, producing tenders, and build client relationships
- Develop skills to be able to undertake forensic engineering and Expert Witness assignments
- Professionally qualified and Chartered Civil Engineer, ideally with a post graduate qualification in a geotechnically related subject
- Extensive knowledge of Eurocodes and other relevant national and international industry standards, contracts, methodologies and procedures
- Substantial experience at Designer level with a proven capability and record of managing risk, and delivering assignments to programme and budget
- Extensive knowledge of geotechnical and engineering geological processes and design, with a particular emphasis on data interpretation, design & analysis, construction and advanced numerical modelling
- Detailed geotechnical design experience including deep and shallow foundations (vertical and lateral capacity, settlement), deep excavations, basements, retaining structures, earthworks, soil and rock slope engineering, ground improvement, seismicity and liquefaction and instrumentation and monitoring
- Ground investigation experience including design, specification, procurement (including preparation of tender documents and tender evaluation), fieldwork and laboratory supervision, interpretation and contract management
- Geomorphologic, coastal and maritime experience would be beneficial
- A thorough understanding of the construction process and parties involved including principals of project and programme management
- Experience predominantly in large scale (c.£100m+), high profile infrastructure projects, for a range of UK and international Clients in various construction market sectors
- Experience of working and operating at a senior level and communicating and presenting to the client
- People management experience e.g. general employee welfare, carrying our appraisals, training and development, involvement in resourcing and recruitment activities
- Proficient user of 2D and 3D finite element analysis software (e.g. PLAXIS, Z-soil) geotechnical software (WALLAP, LPile, GPile, DPile, SlopeW, gINT, or equivalent)
- Microsoft Office Abilities (particularly Excel, C+++)
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
Popular fields of work
Top in Engineering
- Lack of diversity fuelling skills gap in engineering workforce
With 85% of businesses making new hires and/or up-skilling existing staff to take advantage of digital technologies and auto...
- Engineers: the UK needs you!
Engineering companies in the UK need 265,000 new employees a year until 2024. But what sectors need the most engineers?