- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Principal Planning Policy Officer
An exciting opportunity has come about for a Principal Planner to join our client's Planning Policy team on a full or part time basis
Purpose of job, key accountabilities and duties:
- Undertake a principal professional role across a wide range of planning policy work and development, including assisting the Planning Policy Manager in developing and delivering the statutory planning policy framework for the Borough, including the preparation and examination of the local plan and relevant supplementary planning documents.
- Provide an advisory and consultative service in respect of planning policy to other disciplines and council departments
- Ensure planning policies are based upon robust evidence through the preparation, or overseeing, of evidence studies, environmental appraisals and modelling and analysis work.
- To represent the Head of Planning & Engineering and Planning Policy Manager at meetings involving both professional and technical issues and the wider public
- To manage project work, including the work of external consultants and public consultation exercises.
- To supervise junior members of staff and to deputise for the Planning Policy Manager at Department Managers' Meetings, and other meetings as appropriate
- Support the provision of training for all Councillors and Senior managers in respect of planning policy as appropriate
- To be involved in major aspects of all of the work associated with statutory and non-statutory plan documents and other forward planning policies, guidance and materials.
- To supervise, mentor and/or be responsible for the day-to-day management of the work of staff on named projects as directed by the Planning Policy Manager.
- To review national, strategic and local land-use planning issues affecting the Council region and to initiate changes in policies or make robust and active representations on the Council's behalf to relevant bodies.
- To advise and make representations on the planning policy aspects of planning applications and on the Council's own proposals for the use of land or buildings.
- To negotiate and exercise influence over others to secure the Delivery Unit's or Council's interests.
- To ensure that the statutory Duty to Co-operate is successfully discharged through negotiation with surrounding local planning authorities and other relevant bodies.
- To supervise, prepare and present evidence at public inquiries and / or examinations on behalf of the Council in a timely manner.
- To be responsible for the appointment and supervision of external consultants including any work necessary for the letting and monitoring of consultancy contracts.
- To assess the need for, and where necessary initiate and manage, the creation and subsequent maintenance of accurate database systems to meet operational needs.
- To draft reports and presentations for Council meetings, Committees, working parties and other meetings.
- To identify the need for, initiate and manage, as well as undertake monitoring and research on particular topics associated with the work of the team.
- To attend meetings within the Council region and elsewhere, including, on occasion, outside normal office hours.
- To deputise for the Planning Policy Manager as and when required
- To assist the Planning Policy Manager with the formulation, implementation and monitoring of the work programmes and the performance indicators of the group.
- To manage and lead project work, which may involve inter-disciplinary working both within and beyond the Council.
- Maintain awareness of wider Planning Policy and Corporate Policy issues and initiatives.
- Knowledge of Policy Guidance, pertinent legislation and technical advice documents
They are offering either a full time, three-month contract or a part time, six-month contract to suit applicant's needs.
For more information, please call Daniel Baker on 01489 898 975 or apply via this advert.
Rates will range between £33 and £43/h ltd/umbrella. The IR35 status is currently being determined by the Council.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.