- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Senior Process Scientist, Water Supply
Southern Water is looking to take on a Senior Process Scientist working within their Water Supply team. The position will be based from either Otterbounre, Winchester Or Testwood, Southampton.
Senior Process Scientist - Water Supply
Responsible for monitoring and optimising drinking water quality from source to tap to ensure we meet our customer promise of a constant supply of high quality drinking water. Provide advice and assistance across the business on operation, optimisation and investment needs of existing and new assets to improve water quality and efficiency of treatment processes. Act to maintain public health standards at all times.
- To deputise for the Area Principal WQ Process Scientist as required
- To monitor and optimise the operation of the works and downstream assets to ensure that the quality of drinking water supplied by the company continues to meet all internal and statutory requirements
- Where appropriate, work closely with relevant departments regarding the optimisation and improvement of the drinking water treatment processes, including Planning and Resilience, Construction and Operations
- To monitor and analyse available data, identify risks and report on anomalies and atypical trends affecting water treatment/quality and making recommendations to address these
- To undertake detailed investigations into the root cause of water quality compliance failures and incidents and produce reports with recommendations for remedial actions and continuous improvement based on best practice
- Complete periodic reviews of site treatment standards and propose changes to final water specifications
- Undertake regular site visits to review process performance and take action to improve
- Taking personal responsibility for health and safety of self and colleagues
- With others, regularly review the processes and procedures relating to water resource and production activities to ensure that they are fit for purpose
- To act as water quality ambassadors, providing WQ process training across the business
- To take part in activities to raise the profile of WQ process across the business
- Support development of the operational sampling programme (raw, process, and treated)
- To provide WQ process advice and governance to staff at all levels across the business during incidents affecting our water services
- Undertake WQ process risk assessments to ensure risks to sufficiency and quality are maintained
- To provide standby cover for emergencies and out of hours WQ process support to the company on a rota basis; (Scientific FEC)
- A sound understanding of water chemistry/biology and the principles of water treatment
- A sound understanding of regulatory requirements affecting the provision of wholesome drinking water
- A sound understanding of sample types, health significance of water quality parameters and principles of water supply hygiene
- A sound understanding of risk assessment principals and application to real world situations
- Must be able to respond quickly to changing business needs and prioritise workload according to deadlines.
- The ability to deliver WQ process training to a range of audiences
- Investigative skills including data analysis, process mapping and auditing
- The ability to analyse large and complex data sets using a variety of techniques/systems
- The ability to understand and interpret data analysis reports
- The ability to summarise technical issues to non-technical audiences, and communicate effectively and concisely (both written and verbally) with a wide range of stakeholders, internal and external (including regulators).
- The ability to understand WQ process issues and offer appropriate advice during any incidents
- Ability to convey technical issues and investigations in concise written report form
- Demonstrable planning and self-management skills
- The ability to influence and persuade others at all levels
Qualifications: Degree or higher in relevant scientific or engineering discipline
Professional: Member of a relevant professional body & willing to work towards chartership
Experience: Experience in technical roles related to water quality/treatment science/engineering
Up to 30 operational staff including FPM's, TC's and Operators/Inspectors/Samplers.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.