- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Principal Engineer Drainage / Structures
The post-holder will be expected to carry out the duties of a Principal Engineer managing the maintenance, inspection and design of Highway Drainage or Structures schemes, ensuring asset value for the authority.
The role will involve supporting the Highways Asset Manager in the development and implementation of the authorities' strategic approach to highways asset management (Highways Asset Management Plan) so as to best utilise the funding of the authorities highways related budgets (optimally and sustainably manage an assets performance, risk and expenditure over its lifecycle) and minimise the whole life cost of assets, whilst maintaining good service levels
- Project budgets
- Strategic asset engineer
- Asset Condition Officer
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The post-holder will have a thorough knowledge of design standards and will manage the design, contract documentation and contract management/implementation of all types of Highway Structures, Highway Drainage and Land Drainage and Public Rights of Way projects, including the technical approval and supervision of private sector work in so far as this may affect the borough's Highway Authority function and watercourse systems.
- To be responsible for the management of appropriate Drainage and Highway Structures budget/cost centres to ensure delivery of service within budget and programme constraints, in line with Best Value. Total budget in excess of £4m including Capital, Revenue, Developers' Section 106, TfL and SRB funds etc.
- The postholder will be required to attend site meetings in all weathers and to liaise with and maintain good relationships with contractors and staff from other Units of the Council, Utility Companies, other Authorities/Agencies and relevant organisations.
- Communicate effectively, both written and orally, with staff and stakeholders in order to carry out his/her duties to the highest standard.
- To be responsible for the attainment and giving of expert professional advice to other officers of the Council in respect of Highway Structures, Land & Highway Drainage and Public Rights of Way and to represent the Council at external meetings in these areas, including regular liaison with Council Members, MP's, Water Authorities, Environmental Agency and other relevant organisations.
- To coordinate and manage the implementation of a wide range of work programmes simultaneously and to monitor costs thereof.
- The postholder will be required to attend such Council, Public meetings, Consultations, Area Forums and Exhibitions as may be determined from time to time by the Head of Section or the Director of the Service Unit, giving advice to member and the public.
- The Post holder will be responsible for developing and maintaining a database of Highway and Land Drainage assets, using relevant IT softwares.
- The postholder will liaise and assist legal organisations, both external and internal, in the preparation of Legal Agreements pertaining to Highway Structures and Drainage works.
- To take an active role in the development of the service of the team and to maximise the benefits to the authority with regard to inward investment.
- The postholder will design, promote and specify schemes to minimise their environmental impact and maximise their sustainability, and be responsible for collecting and dissipating drainage records, and for the routine inspection and maintenance of the drainage network.
- The postholder will contribute to the Service Operation Plan, Highways Asset Management Plan (HAMP) in his/her areas of work and assist to maintain Charter Mark status.
- Work with the Asset condition Officer in the preparation of technical reports
- Assist the Highways Asset Manager in developing the strategic approach to the authorities approach to Highways asset management.
- Liaise with the service provider to ensure timely technical knowledge is captured
- Work closely with the service provider to assess new processes, materials, innovations and continual improvements to assist in the future delivery of highways related works
- The postholder will be required to undertake planning and works for emergency scenarios relating to flooding, collapsed sewer, chemical spillage and to liaise with the Council's Emergency Planning Officer, emergency services and other utility companies. Also to take an active role in representing the Council in respect of emergency scenarios regarding Highway Structures failures and damages from whatever cause.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.