- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
System Technician (South)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Mechanical Systems Technician, based out of Poole but covering our client's south division.
To maintain boats and equipment within the south division
To be responsible for fault diagnosis, defect repair, planned & unplanned maintenance and installation of mechanical, electronic and electrical equipment associated with RNLI facilities, plant and equipment.
The boats and equipment are increasingly complex and require expert knowledge across many classes of boat and a broad spectrum of plant and vehicles. This includes sea-going as part of the role.
* Investigate and diagnose faults on equipment located on plant and associated operational equipment
* Effect repair and planned maintenance to facilities, plant or equipment at station, haul out facility or other location as required
* Ensure risk assessments and job cards are created an used for each task undertaken to include SHE: observations ,non-compliance and near misses . Contribute to establishing and maintaining a safe working culture.
* Carry out modifications to boats and equipment. Sign off relevant paperwork, submitting any recommendations as required
* To be present at all routine haul-out and maintenance activities as required
* Liaise and facilitate with contractors on site
* To advise regional staff and station personnel on technical issues via phone or face to face
* To carry out trials of new or repaired equipment and attend sea trials as required
* Assist the Divisional Maintenance Manager in maintaining stock control and stores ordering for spares held within the divisional base
* Movement of plant around the UK and Ireland and on site
* Use of Microsoft Dynamics AX as a planning and recording tool, and the MRP system to manage parts demand and supply, as part of the overall management of individual areas, including liaison and balancing of work between areas
* Complete Diagnostics analysis as required for individual manufacturers equipment with appropriate software e.g. CAT ET, Yamaha diagnostics etc.
* Maintain COSHH awareness together with relevant in date training i.e. PASMA, PAT, CPC, fork truck licence etc.
* Emergency call-out duties to repair equipment defects and to cover emergency stand-by duties at weekends, out of hours and bank holidays as per divisional rota
* Maintain in-depth knowledge of specific items of RNLI machinery and equipment through CoBT and other methods
* To work un-supervised and to prioritise own workload under guidance of the Divisional Maintenance Manager
* To become involved in other ad hoc tasks as required.
Time served Engineering apprenticeship or a sound background and experience in mechanical, electrical and/or electronic engineering
NVQ Level 3 or equivalent in a mechanical, electrical or electronic discipline.
Wide knowledge of diesel and petrol engines/electrical systems;Marine or plant experience
Experience of construction/ modification of electronic equipment
Experience of repair and maintenance of electronic equipment
Towing License preferred - but training can be given if necessary.
PAT testing, use of lorry mounted cranes, mobile scaffolding, driver CPC and fork lift truck licence.
This role is suitable for someone who is self-motivated, with a wide knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems, and who works well in a team, happy to work unsociable hours when required and spend time away from home.
Our client offers an excellent benefits package, details of which can be discussed at application stage.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.