- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Technical Lead - Rail
Our client is a global leader in Engineering and R&D services providing expertise in aerospace, automotive, defence, energy, finance, life sciences, railway and telecommunications.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Technical Lead to join our clients UK's Rail Engineering business during a period of rapid growth.
Working with major UK and European rolling stock manufacturers, you will be instrumental in building a new business with global, world-class engineering capability and enabling our clients to be at the cutting edge of innovation.
Your duties as Technical Lead will span the whole product design life-cycle from problem definition, through concept and detail design, manufacturing, test, verification and validation, and in-service support. You will be responsible for the technical quality and innovative content of engineering solutions across all rail rolling stock engineering disciplines.
- Be the client's main point of contact for all technical work packages undertaken in the UK and Global engineering teams
- Support multiple engineering tasks for different projects, requiring you to maintain excellent working relationships with the key client points of contact on-site, and represent both your work, the work of other team members during client reviews
- Ensure effective requirements capture and management throughout the entire design life cycle
- Define activities required to identify root cause of technical issues and lead achievement timely solution concept design
- Manage technical delivery of engineering work packages through clients' own engineering change control processes and the technical governance process. Review technical deliverables for accuracy and effectiveness and grant approval for delivery to clients
- Take the lead on complex integration issues between our own and client engineering teams
- Be responsible for right first time, on time, every time delivery of the global engineering team's output
- Support Project Managers and Technical Leads in planning technical aspects of fixed-price, priced duration projects, including scope, schedule, budget and risk, for both live projects and proposals / bids
- Be responsible for day-to-day technical task management and resource load planning, working with clients and internal project and engineering teams to resolve conflicts
- Support the Rail Engineering Manager to define and implement capability development plans
- Act as line manager for engineering personnel, with responsibility for individuals' personal development planning and review
- Build close working relationships with clients, ensuring their needs are anticipated and identifying opportunities for business development
Skills and Qualifications:
- You will likely be degree qualified or ideally hold a Masters Degree or equivalent with proven technical leadership experience
- Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer with Membership of an appropriate engineering institution e.g. IMechE, IET would be beneficial
- Further evidence of Continuous Professional Development in one or more rail engineering disciplines would be advantageous e.g. specialist courses and training certificates
- Experience of rolling stock projects or similar would be advantageous.
You will possess creative problem-solving skills in a team environment and comfortable with communicating clearly and efficiently throughout varying levels of both the customer and internal stakeholders.
You will already have substantial experience of direct leadership on the full engineering lifecycle gained within the rail industry or similar industries, including complex systems integration across multiple disciplines, task and resource planning. Previous line management experience would be advantageous.
You will have well-developed interpersonal skills such as leadership, delegation, communication and conflict management, and will be able to lead and motivate your engineering teams.
You will have strong problem solving and analytical skills, be a good communicator (written and verbal), have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build rapport with others, be self-motivated and able to use initiative, be organised with good time management and prioritisation.
In return you will recieve career development opportunities, a matched pension scheme, healthcare and generous holiday allowance.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.