- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
My client is seeking a Technical Author to join their team on an initial 6 month contract basis. You will write produce and accurately maintain non-standard addendums and manuals, together with associated addendums/manuals and other documentation.
You should be qualified to degree or HNC/HND in mechanical or electromechanical engineering; appropriate time served apprenticeships or forces experience will be considered. Experience as a practising engineer would be an advantage but must have the aptitude to quickly understand a diverse range of products and their applications.
You should be able to demonstrate:
- Five years technical authoring experience in an engineering environment either employed by an engineering company or an agency.
- The ability to write clear, concise English by producing previous work.
- Familiarity with manufacturing delivery environments and associated processes and terminology
You will be required to support all phases of the core documentation process: information gathering and planning; content specification; content development and implementation; production; and evaluation. You must be able to convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English, and be able to manipulate text and images to create well-structured, documentation that is easily absorbed by the target user. The ability to suggest meaningful illustrations to substitute for extensive text is a requisite. You will be expected to gather information by studying existing technical content, interviewing subject matter experts and sometimes interacting with the product directly. Accuracy and attention to detail, along with an ability to work to deadlines using your own initiative are essential, and you will be expected to carry out editorial reviewing of work produced by peers. You will need to have excellent people skills - be able to influence others, work in a team, foster collaboration and facilitate meetings and other activities that may aid the production and delivery of effective technical publications.
The following skills are required:
- Diplomacy in working with staff at all levels, understanding their commercial priorities.
- Good I.T. skills, especially competence with software running on the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- A good knowledge and recent use of Adobe Frame Maker software (V9 or later) and of writing in DITA XML are essential.
Any skills in the following areas would be advantageous:
- Experience of working in a Component Content Management System
- Familiarity with extracting images from CAD drawings and 3D models
- Experience of Simplified Technical English
- Use of Microsoft SharePoint
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.