- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Lead Engineer - Battery Development, Electrode & Cell Scale-up
Are you ready to join a growing research group in energy storage and batteries? Do you have a strong background in chemistry or process engineering with experience in inks or coatings development, and/or battery cell design and manufacture?
We are looking for a Lead Engineer to drive our electrode and cell scale-up production and test activities with our industrial and academic partners.
Using the resources of our Innovation Centre, you will join the team working on the Battery Scale-Up line to lead delivery of projects focused on upscaling from a low volume laboratory scale, up to high volume production. The project will deliver breakthrough knowledge for the benefit of all battery manufacturing sectors, including automotive, aerospace and marine.
You will have significant experience in developing electrode inks and coatings and/or battery cell design and manufacture, and have excellent working knowledge of process and quality control. Experience of electrochemistry would be an advantage but not essential.
In return we will provide a great range of benefits which include an attractive pension scheme, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays and Christmas closure, some fantastic savings on a wide range of products and services, and excellent learning and development opportunities.
You will be employed to work on Battery Scale-Up related projects in collaboration with industry and academic partners.
- To conduct in depth research on the battery electrode and cell scale-up projects, ensuring that a detailed work programme exists to generate the research outcomes within the agreed time frame. This will involve exploring innovative opportunities, supporting the development and introduction of new equipment and manufacturing methods, and being actively involved at a hands-on level in the mixing of materials and electrode slurries, coating electrodes, pouch and cylindrical cell assembly and testing.
- To develop novel and appropriate methodology for incorporating the design and manufacture of electrodes and cells into the research programme to support the decision making processes. This will require engagement with sector and subject matter specialists at all levels of employment to understand the current industry practice and latest international standards and legislative directives. To prepare detailed activity specifications, liaise with the university finance and purchasing departments and generate appropriate selection criteria in order to purchase any additional external or subcontract support, computer software or capital equipment necessary to deliver the project outputs.
- To provide comprehensive direction and support to the businss and the partners on all aspects of the project. Deputise for the project manager at senior management meetings as required ensuring that appropriate input is given and outcomes are reported to the project manager and others within the research team in a timely manner.
- To support the publication of research outcomes in appropriate journals of international standing and to disseminate the result of research and scholarship in other reputable outlets. To attend and present research and project findings at professional conferences and contribute to the external visibility and profile of the department.
- Develop plans to ensure that the business outputs agreed with the funding bodies are achieved within the agreed timescales and reported on a regular basis.
- A good honours degree in a relevant subject, e.g. Chemistry, Physics, Materials, Engineering or related discipline.
- Significant experience in battery scale up, including experience of industrial R&D and first implementation in 'real world' environment
- A high level of attention to detail with previous experience of record-keeping for quality purposes and traceability
- A good understanding of battery electrode development (mixing and coating) and/or battery cell design and manufacture.
- Ability to perform detailed data analysis and interpretation to present results and make recommendations via briefings, presentations or written reports
- Experience in experimental design, data analysis and interpretation
- Experience of manufacturing processes engineering within a relevant industrial sector, including the ability to make recommendations for process improvements
- Experience in development and delivery of training material
- Excellent project planning and reporting skills, with the ability to initiate, plan organise, implement and deliver programmes of work to tight deadlines
- Ability to deliver rapid, commercially focused results
- Good effective oral and written communication skills, presentation and training skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills capable of dealing with all levels of employment and providing effective solutions to complex situations
- Ability to work within a diverse team of subject matter experts, to quickly adapt to new situations and business practices
- A range of Quantitative and/or Qualitative research skills
- Skilful negotiator with the ability to influence and persuade when necessary
- A significant level of experience of battery electrode coatings development in an industrial context
- A doctorate level qualification in a relevant research area
- Professional membership of an appropriate professional institute
- Research experience of electrochemical power devices
In return we offer a range of benefits including a pension and generous hoiday allowance as well as fantastic learning and development opportunities.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.