- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Head Of Planning
This is a key role leading the project planning portfolio for the 4 largest and most complex highway projects in the UK which include the £6.5b Lower Thames Crossing and the high profile A303 Stonehenge tunnel.
The Head of Planning role is critical in developing an integrated and high performing Programme Management Office service, supporting the project at every stage of the lifecycle. The post holder will be responsible for driving excellence in Project and Programme Planning through the development, delivery and maintenance of a governance framework for Planning and Schedule management together with relevant tools and systems and the enhancement of in-house capability. Contributing to maturing the Planning & Scheduling function across Complex Infrastructure Programme, you will coach and manage skills to successfully develop and build capability. The focus will be to continuously improve capability, behaviours, culture, tools, processes and systems related to Planning & Schedule management and attending and supporting Planning & Schedule Management Communities of Practice across Highways England, to share best practices and support professional development. This role can be based in either Bedford, London or Bristol.
What you'll be leading on
- You will develop and maintain strong, collaborative, working relationships with Programme Senior Leadership Team, Programme Management Office (PMO), and Programme delivery teams where you will ensure a strong understanding of business needs are met and ensure that the requirements for high quality Planning management tools and systems are fully understood and addressed at both Project and Programme level
- Working with the PMO, Programme & Project teams and wider Major Projects directorate to develop and deliver the Planning and Scheduling management strategy, you will provide consistency leading to industry best practices; that will ensure control and deliver effective processes, mechanisms and tools
- You will lead the development of Enterprise Planning management tools and systems at a Project, Programme and Portfolio level, to drive measurable results in terms of increasing the efficiency of the Programme and its constituent projects to deliver consistent high quality of project and programme reporting
- You will develop processes and procedures that ensure all project schedules provided by designers, delivery partners / contractors and any 3rd party suppliers are provided to a consistently high quality into a centralised location
- You will support Directors, Project Managers/Sponsors and their teams through the provision of programme and project analysis and identify and report emerging issues and trends in performance and behaviours related to Planning & Schedule management
To be successful
- Extensive operational experience of working in a complex, high value, programme environment, providing and driving strategic improvement plans and consistency of approach at programme and project levels
- Experienced in providing optimisation of individual (and combined) design and construction project plans at a project and programmatic level
- Experienced in driving change programmes specific to embedding Planning and Schedule management processes, tools, systems and people capability
- Significant experience of scheduling tools and systems, specifically Primavera P6, Deltek Acumen Suite of Tools
- Extensive operational experience of setting up and managing a P6 Enterprise Environment
- Demonstrable operational experience of leading and managing teams at a senior level in project and programme environment
- Demonstrable evidence of continuous operational Project, Programme & Portfolio Offices (P3O) management of personal professional development
- Track record of managing complex relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes within an operational environment
A bit about us
The Complex Infrastructure Programme was established in 2014 to create a focus within Highways England to grow the expertise and capability to deliver large and complex Projects. Our vision is 'To be acknowledged as the UK leaders in delivery of large and complex infrastructure' and to do this we are seeking to become a more intelligent client, becoming more effective in our role to derive greatest value from our investments. The Complex Infrastructure Programme is a £7-8bn Programme currently comprising of four Projects; the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon Improvement Scheme, which started construction in 2016, the A428, the Lower Thames Crossing and A303 Stonehenge schemes, both of which are in their earlier options phase.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.