- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Environmental Health Officer
Local Authority client in Hertfordshire are looking for an interim Environmental Health Officer that can use HHSRS for an initial 3 month contract. For more information, please call Adam @ Matchtech on 01489 898881.
Purpose of the Role
- To protect and improve the health, quality, safety and economic prosperity of our town in an efficient and effective way through the application of specialist skills, knowledge and expertise in the full range of environmental health functions.
- Learn through a structured development programme to enable competency in all areas of Environmental Health, development to include on the job learning in order to become a fully qualified EHO if not already qualified.
To work within agreed service levels, procedures, project plans, protocols and policies to provide environmental health services that protect and improve health and well being, contribute to the corporate objectives and ensure compliance with statutory provisions and corporate policy.
To provide services across the full range of environmental health functions, namely:food safety; health and safety at work; infectious diseases; licensing; private sector housing (including HMOs); environmental protection; and public health.
To work as a Duty Officer on a rota basis providing a first point of contact and investigation for enquiries.
To undertake provision of an out of hours service on a rota basis.
Knowledge / Skills
- Holds an Environmental Health Degree/Diploma and is either
- enrolled on the Chartered Programme for registration as a Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner
- is currently completing an ELP/PPP and anticipates taking the professional exams
- An up to date technical knowledge of all aspects of environmental health and a current working knowledge of the associated legislation.
- The ability to design, deliver, monitor, report and participate in projects using appropriate tools and templates to contribute to service aims.
- Good organisational and management skills in order to meet deadlines in a timely manner and manage risks.
- The ability to work under pressure and to manage interruptions, including unexpected and unanticipated situations whilst out of district.
- Ability to take ownership and deliver solutions, working unsupervised and on own initiative.
- Ability to work effectively with customers, colleagues and other organisations and to manage expectations.
- Understanding of, and the ability to deliver excellent customer service skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills with a wide range of people from varied professional, technical and cultural backgrounds in order to deliver positive outcomes.
- Commercial awareness - an understanding of the pressures facing businesses and the importance of this in achieving compliance.
- Understanding and appreciation of the internal and external influences and partnerships relevant to working in Environmental Health in particular and Local Government in general.
- Awareness of the major issues and challenges facing Environmental Health functions.
- Sensitivity and ability to work effectively with vulnerable clients, sometimes those having mental health issues.
- Ability to defuse situations that may arise from dissatisfied and anxious service users, dealing with contentious issues in a considerate and appropriate manner
- Ability to advise, negotiate and influence individuals and businesses to adopt/desist a particular course of action.
- Ability to deal with difficult physical environments that are not uncommon on site visits. For example building sites, drainage complaints, pest infestations, animal licensing issues and filthy/verminous premises.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.