- Hiring hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Our client are a growing engineering business who are supplying their products to a range of industries worldwide.
The role of a Technical Author is to produce and maintain customer documentation for company products, in accordance with the house style and quality standards. The customer documentation includes, but is not limited to, instruction manuals, addendums, safety labels and translations, and is for the use of our customers and personnel worldwide.
Main duties are:
- Plan, research, write, and edit documents from conception to delivery to fulfil customer requirements.
- Convey technical ideas, concepts and procedures in clear, concise and accurate English to ensure understanding by the reader.
- Create or commission photographs or illustrations to complement the text in documents.
- Manipulate text and images to create well‐structured documentation that is easily absorbed by the target user.
- Use consistent and correct terminology to avoid confusion and misunderstanding.
- Gather information by studying existing technical content, interviewing subject matter experts and where necessary interacting with the product directly, to ensure accurate and complete documentation.
- Monitor related information sources and attend appropriate project meetings to determine and communicate requirements, priorities and dependencies, to ensure timely delivery of documentation.
- Follow requirements to ensure that documentation meets all requirements for compliance with industry and international standards and directives.
- With the product Technical Authority, scrutinise, proof read and edit as necessary all documentation produced, to ensure complete accuracy of content and presentation prior to distribution.
- Maintain the accuracy of all technical publication databases/records by amending them as required, to ensure compliance with all required standards.
The skills and experience needed are:-
- Technical writing experience in an engineering environment.
- Qualified to degree or HNC/HND in mechanical or electromechanical engineering; appropriate time served apprenticeships or forces experience will be considered.
- Production of instruction manuals in related or similar engineering fields.
A good working knowledge and recent use of:
- Adobe FrameMaker (V9 onwards)
- Any illustration/graphic design/digital photography/photo editing applications
- Able to accurately interpret mechanical drawings and electrical diagrams, and also data and instructions given by project engineers and technologists.
- Able to carry out editorial reviewing of work produced by peers.
Any skills in the following areas are also beneficial:
- An XML authoring application, especially oXygen
- Use of a Component Content Management System (CCMS)
- Familiarity with extracting images frm 3D mdels
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.