- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Project Controls Manager
Are you a Project Controls Manager interested in working with industry partners, providing through-life support for the UK's fleet of submarines?
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) require a Project Controls Manager, with relevant regulated industry experience. The Project Controls Manager will oversee an expanding team of Ministry of Defence Project Control staff (up to 8). The successful candidate will work closely with the MOD and Babcock Project Managers to inform programme decision-making and will be responsible for developing and delivering Project Controls operating plans across a variety of high-value and complex projects.
The programme level schedules for each Major Infrastructure Project contain key milestones and deliverables. The schedules are baselined as part of business case approvals and are reviewed monthly to understand the variances, review the forecasts, and discuss risks and opportunities against critical path activities. The outputs from these reviews inform monthly progress meetings and Project Boards. The Project Controls Manager's role is integral to enabling the successful delivery of these Major Infrastructure Projects.
The UK operational submarine capability is reliant upon the infrastructure that supports it and certain elements of the infrastructure at Devonport need to be rebuilt in order to provide the required levels of support to maintain operational submarines as well as for the disposal of submarines once out of service and decommissioned. The timelines to deliver the required outcomes for these Major Infrastructure Projects in the next few years are very demanding.
You will act as the delivery agent for this scope of work, the Devonport Infrastructure team stood up as a new team within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) earlier this year with around 40 civil service staff based in Abbey Wood, Bristol and in HMNB Devonport. The main delivery pillars within the team are associated with maintaining the underpinning artefacts and the enterprise infrastructure modelling capability, and the Major Infrastructure Projects themselves that deliver submarine new berthing and docking capability at Devonport. Each of the dock / berth projects are Major Infrastructure Projects and use contracts with Babcock Naval Nuclear to deliver their scopes of work.
The Project Controls Manager (L4) is responsible for:
Developing and overseeing the delivery of Project Controls discipline operating plans and discipline performance within their projects or portfolio, including:
* The quality and timeliness of cost estimates, budgets, financial reports, risk management and schedules that define the Performance Measurement Baseline
* Ensuring project baselines are under robust change control and the approval of impact analysis and estimates of proposed changes
* Monthly reporting including the generation of portfolio/project dashboards, financial reports and associated analysis and recommendations
* The effective implementation of functional procedures used for estimating, for monitoring and controlling cost and schedule and for earned value management
* Performing audits to ensure the quality of estimating, cost engineering, planning/scheduling and earned value activities
Directing or undertaking day-to-day project controls activities including:
* Cost estimating, analysis and control activities
* Schedule development, maintenance, monitoring, impact identification and recovery plan development activities
* Earned value management analysis and control activities Managing workforce planning and staffing plans within their project or portfolio
* Identifying, analysing and providing innovative solutions to cost management and planning/scheduling problems
* Providing direct input to business cases, strategic plans, customer presentations, bid evaluation and contract negotiations
* Making presentations to management and customers.
Building and sustaining capability:
* Managing personnel, administration and skills development within their project or portfolio
* Managing the implementation of functional training programs within their project or portfolio
In order to meet the requirements of the post, it is essential that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Level 6 qualification (e.g. BEng/BSc) in relevant subject matter (or suitable relevant experience)
* Significant experience of leading and delivering Programme and Project Controls within a relevant, heavily-regulated environment (e.g. defence, rail, aero, construction, energy)
* Experience using Primavera P6
* Interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills, with demonstrable experience of working collaboratively with teams, across functions and with senior stakeholders
* An understanding of Project Management methodologies
It would be beneficial if you have the following desirable experience/qualifications:
* Member of the APMP (or equivalent body)
This role would suit experienced Project Control Managers with proven expertise in supplier management, delivering projects, complex acquisition and procurement. A background in Defence is not a prerequisite and we welcome applicants from a spectrum of industries and sectors.
Please note that, due to security requirements, this role is limited to SOLE UK NATIONALS ONLY.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.