- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Engineering Safety Head
New opportunity for and Engineering Safety Head to join the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) in Bristol.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
As the Engineering Safety Head within the Chief Engineers Team, you and your team will provide expert independent advice covering facilities, plant, product and people across the disciplines of nuclear safety, radiation protection, environmental protection, conventional safety and occupational health and safety in support of project and programme activities across all areas of the SDA. You will be responsible for leading a team of 10, covering the areas of product/platform safety, environmental protection including sustainability and net zero, safety culture and occupational health and safety. You will act as the central focal point within the business for producing policies, strategies and arrangements, overseeing/governing business performance and interfacing with Submarine Enterprise, wider Defence and National organisations, plus Regulatory bodies across the aforementioned areas.
As the Engineering Safety Head you will be responsible for managing and directing delivery of 'safety & environmental' assurance across the business areas and assuring the competence of senior engineers in lead engineer and safety responsible assignments. You will be responsible for two key areas of the SDA Technical Directorate engineering framework and accountable for driving business outputs to meet the framework milestones.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
* Working on complex products, systems and services in maritime and nuclear.
* Drafting new and maintaining current pan SDA Safety & Environmental Policies, strategies and arrangements.
* Ensuring that the annually agreed Targets and Objectives of the Safety Committee are met and escalated to the Board where appropriate.
* Knowledge and experience of developing safety and environmental cases developing clear, logical and convincing safety arguments in support of safety assessments or safety/environmental cases.
* Subject Matter Expert for the Safety Case improvements to drive improvement in through life safety cases including the nuclear, in build and maintenance elements.
* A comprehensive knowledge, understanding and experience of using a range of safety and/or environmental tools and techniques allowing you to demonstrate a proven track record, using specific examples, of high hazard, high consequence and complex systems.
* Practical experience of implementing safety and/or environmental management systems for products, services or systems, either as part of design or in-service support.
* Responsible for the delivery of an SDA Environmental Strategy to ensure the SDA meet their Environmental targets such as Government Greening and Net Zero targets.
* An excellent level of stakeholder management and communication skills at a senior level - able to act as the independent subject matter expert/ practitioner to challenge/ support delivery teams and industry partners on best practice, acceptable and proportionate means of compliance, continuous improvement and risk analysis and mitigation techniques.
* Liaising with relevant Regulators (ONR, DNSR, DMR and the EA), conducting reviews, audits and inspections to ensure that SDA meets and maintains compliance against applicable UK and EU legislation, directives and regulations, and MOD regulations where they differ or are specific to SDA.
* Chair/support a number of SDA, Submarine Enterprise and National Nuclear meetings. * Knowledge and experience of complex projects with significant software or complex hardware components is also desirable.
What you will be assessed against To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- An Engineering Qualification with a further Bachelors/ Post Graduate qualification in Engineering, Nuclear, Systems Safety, Systems Environment or other safety or environmental discipline.
- Professional registration with a relevant institution.
- Recognised Subject Matter Expert for Nuclear Safety Cases, or in highly regulated environments.
- A Level 2/3 Nuclear Qualification
- A lead Auditor qualification.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
* Technical Decision Making
* Technical Risk Management
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
* Communicating and influencing
Apply with your CV which clearly demonstrates the following areas (which you will be assessed against):
* Key Achievements
* Relevant Experience
* Applied Knowledge and Skills
Due to the secure nature of this position, this role is open to sole UK nationals only. You will be required to undergo a security check (SC).
Closing date Thursday 6th August at 11:55pm 2020
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.