- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Mechanical Engineer - Marine
There are multiple vacancies available for Mechanical Engineers to work on Surface Ships or Submarines with the MOD in Bristol.
Would you love the opportunity to work on some of the UK's leading Defence Technical Projects and Programmes, supporting our Armed Forces in current and future operations?
Both Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) and The Submarine Delivery Agency (The SDA) are offering exciting opportunities to join their teams, working with Surface Ships or Submarines.
These roles offer fantastic opportunities as they are mainly office based, but come with the unique opportunity to include some work onboard ships and submarines at the dockyard, and offer the chance to get involved with surveys and trials of new equipment. These roles cover mechanical capability studies across the spectrum of surface and underwater activity.
If you are a Mechanical Engineer with experience from sectors such as defence, maritime, oil and gas, or manufacturing where you will have dealt with for example, but not limited to, propulsion, structures, heavy plant, machinery, autonomous vehicles, auxiliary or ancillary equipment, then please do not hesitate to apply.
Our successful candidates will have a talent for communicating, influencing and making effective decisions. As part of these vital roles, you will have unique access to the front line, supporting the work of the Royal Navy. You will be involved in keeping ships or submarines at sea, allowing them to perform their principle role through being responsible for managing the upkeep of naval assets. You may also be involved earlier in the acquisition of equipment, providing technical support to key aspects of large procurements.
In these roles you will be expected to support technical problem solving, often coupled with appropriate planning abilities to assist in resolving complex engineering problems. You will be required to work with one or many types of systems/equipment including diesel generators, engines, navigation systems, domestic, grey and black water systems, firefighting, air conditioning, hydraulics and high/low pressure air systems.
Please note that due the nature of security, some of these roles may be restricted to Sole UK Nationals only.
The responsibilities will vary from role to role, but will include some of these listed:
* Manage engineering technical requirements, including definition, architecture, integration, contract assessment and change management
* Identify Marine Engineering risk whilst providing guidance on Marine Engineering issues
* Responsible for the development and maintenance of system requirement including in-service support
* Provide specialist advice on the application of safety and environmental management systems
* Determine quality management and assurance approaches and ensure risks are understood and managed
* Produce and contribute to Engineering Management Plans
* Provide support for a range of Marine Engineering Equipment and Systems
* Support Safety Analysis
* Interact with contractors and original equipment manufacturers, liaising with internal and external customers and suppliers
* Support through maintenance periods and assist with fault finding, rectification and continuous improvement
* Managing design queries and changes, contributing to equipment fits and supporting refit periods
* Trials of new equipment including factory acceptance tests with equipment manufacturer or contractor, field, harbour and sea trials.
What you will be assessed against
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
* Mechanical Engineering background
* To be able to demonstrate an understanding of the requirements of mechanical equipment within Maritime environment or identify transferable skills
* Level 4 qualification in a relevant engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
* Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
* Professional Registered status or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Maritime engineering experience
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.