- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Energetics Materials Scientist
BAE Systems are currently seeking an Energetics Materials Scientist to work on their Land Systems Base on the testing and manufacturing of weapons for the MOD.
Energetics Materials Scientist - Glascoed (Wales) - 6 Months - £30ph LTD (Other Payment Methods Available)
This position is working on projects that require a Full Security Clearance. It is possible to start on a lower clearance, but if you are not able to achieve full clearances, then you cannot apply for this role. This means you have to be a UK National and have lived in the UK for 5 years consecutively as a minimum.
BAE Glascoed Base are at the forefront of defence land projects, including the design and manufacture of classified and highly dangerous weapons and materials. Due to an influx of work they require 2x extra scientists to cover projects.
The day to day of the role is working in a semi industrial production shop conducting R&D for BAE Systems customers. You will be expected to conduct risk assessments, document plans and being precise in following process to the letter due to the nature of work. The practical side is handling and formulating new energetic materials, which are explosives and pyrotechnics with some crossover to propellants. Once the work is executed to an experiment you devised, a report is written by yourself, which after an internal check is sent directly to the customer.
The qualities sort for this role is a background in Chemistry with relevant experience conceptualising, conducting and reporting on the development of products. Backgrounds in the development of petrochemical or pharmaceutical products will also be considered. Also Chemical Engineers or Material Engineers/ Scientists who have worked in similar situations.
Communication and a passion for following process is key. You will be required to liaise with different departments and stakeholders on a regular basis. The products being handled are highly dangerous and most likely explosive. Experience in report writing to a high technical level is also required, as well as exposure to risk assessments, method statements etc. University report writing at an MSc level can account for this if the above experience is fulfilled.
Detailed Job Responsibilities
1. Working in a safe manner at all times.
- Reporting all hazards, near misses and accidents on OSHENS software.
- Co-operating with OSHENS investigations where required.
- If in doubt STOP and ASK.
2. Extensive execution of project work in support of internal & external customers, either independently or as part of a team. Ensuring the progression and timely completion of nominated projects by;
- Deriving a robust plan for all nominated projects with a suitable accompanying Safe System of Work (including disposal)
- Conducting the practical work required of the project, including the suitable handling of energetic materials and operation of processing equipment and instrumentation.
- Ensuring that material inventories are controlled by liaising with PM and resource controllers.
- Conducting tests & trials and analysing the results to understand the behaviour of the materials / systems under test.
- Maintaining a design record that can be used to support review sessions.
- Maintaining and compiling specifications and Safety Data sheets for formulations
- Compiling reports and presentations to a high standard for distribution to internal and external customers.
- Presenting results to stakeholders as required.
3. Support to the timely compilation of bid documents by;
- Supporting business development and bid managers in compiling information in bid preparation phase i.e. material costs and labour requirements.
- Supporting RBA and TBR processes as required by line management and PM.
4. An awareness and reporting of technologies that would benefit the business by;
- Logging ideas and innovations on Innovation Portal
- Undertaking passive technology watch activities
- Identifying continuous improvement activities to line management
5. Supporting the efficient running of the Energetics facility by:
- Facilitating scheduled maintenance interventions
- Facilitating reactive maintenance interventions
- Maintaining high standards of housekeeping
- Ensuring compliance with applicable legislation and site SHE guidance
This role would not be suitable for a Lab Technician without a degree. You may be considered if you have a relevant Postgraduate or Undergraduate degree with some relevant industry placement or post degree experience.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.