- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) requires Technical Overseers to join their Barrow-based team, delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
SDA Principal Naval Overseers (PNO) are a team of circa 50 staff, predominantly engineers, based in Barrow-in-Furness, providing independent assurance that submarine build activities meet the necessary requirements of the contract. It also falls on the PNO team to ensure that Project and Engineering Risks and Opportunities identified within the build environment are effectively mitigated and/or realised.
PNO undertake risk based surveillance of vessels during build and provide waterfront and build support/advice to delivery teams. The team ensure correct standards are maintained by promoting the Governance, Assurance and Improvement (GAI) of acquisition, engineering and logistics support activities.
We are keen to speak with and support those candidates that are motivated and driven to progress their careers, with the successful candidates expected to upskill and develop their knowledge of the systems, and the build and commissioning, of Nuclear Submarines.
As a Technical Overseer you will advise on technical problem solving and conduct Assurance & Acceptance surveillance activities on the fabrication and commissioning of a variety of submarine low and high pressure fluid systems, supporting submarine propulsion, weapon systems and hotel services (including water cooling, lubrication and hydraulic actuation), ensuring compliance with build standards and contract adherence.
Using your knowledge of submarine systems, their fabrication, commissioning and operation, you will define technical requirements, manage solution development and ensure compliance with customers' requirements during the product build.
General day-to day-responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as the Equipment System Owner representative to provide approval, evaluation and acceptance of documentation pertaining to the manufacture, testing and commissioning of a variety of submarine fluid systems
- Undertaking verification and validation of the Submarine Design and Build against the customer requirements
- Contribute to the production of Surveillance Plans and undertake build surveillance to gather independent assurance over product build quality and contractual conformance
- Determining quality management and assurance approaches ensuring technical risks are understood and managed
- You will also be required to brief project teams on findings and anticipated delays to build.
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Professionally Registered status or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
- Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience of providing technical advice and delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- Technical experienced in your discipline or specialist area in a variety of contexts
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Maritime engineering experience
- Member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body
Please note that due the nature of security, this role is restricted to Sole UK Nationals only.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.