- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Deputy Head of Engineering (Ships Domain)
DE&S require a highly competent and experienced Engineer to be the Ships Domain's Deputy Head of Engineering, based out of Abbey Wood, Bristol.
Are you looking for a complex and challenging role working at a National Scale? Do you want to be part of a diverse, multi-disciplined team and play a key role in supporting the security of the UK? If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our national security then we want to hear from you.
The Ships Head of Engineering is directly accountable to Chief of Material Ships, and functionally to the DE&S Director of Engineering and Safety, for delivery of a wide range of engineering services and for providing governance and assurance covering all engineering activity undertaken in the Ships Domain. DE&S are looking for the right person to fill the Deputy Head position to undertake the responsibilities set out below and to deputise for the Head of Engineering when required. Individuals with the appropriate professional background may be called upon to lead a DE&S Technical Discipline which would involve providing professional development leadership to all DE&S and Submarine Delivery Agency engineers in that discipline. From this perspective an electrical engineering background is preferred, but other technical disciplines, such as marine engineering or combat systems, will be of equal interest. The successful applicant will, after this initial assignment of 3-4 years, be eligible for deployment to other engineering leadership roles.
Reporting to the Ships Head of Engineering, the Deputy Head of Engineering will be responsible for:
- Planning and coordinating engineering assurance activity, to provide independent advice to the Chief of Material Ships at major decision points that project proposals are sound, from a technical, safety and deliverability perspective
- Undertaking targeted project health-checks, to provide independent assurance to senior stakeholders that major engineering delivery risks have adequate mitigation strategies
- Coordinating development of a Ships Technology Strategy, to ensure naval customer capability goals will be met and, where relevant, liaising with other nations with shared goals
- Developing and delivering strategies, to make ships engineering activity more sustainable within the resources available, including challenging organisational structures, engineering processes and practices, etc.
- Providing expert technical advice to delivery teams in your personal areas of expertise, e.g. on the application of relevant engineering standards
- Acting as deputy to the Head of Engineering, including representation at relevant boards and committees, providing management cover during leave periods, etc.
- Providing engineering leadership to the c.500 engineers in the Ships Domain, but mainly focussed through the Project Chief Engineer community
- Supporting the Engineering Function with, for example, recruitment and promotion interviews, professional mentoring, etc.
In order to perform this role, it is essential that you are able to demonstrate the following:
- Chartered Engineer with full membership of a relevant professional institute
- Significant experience of engineering management and leading successful delivery preferably in a marine environment
- Experience of providing technical advice and of decision-making at senior levels of responsibility
- Knowledge, coupled with a breadth of experience, in using or advising on the use/tailoring of engineering policy, processes, tools and techniques
- Strong leadership and communication skills, particularly the ability to confidently engage people at all levels up to 3* (Vice Admiral and equivalents), and to enrol people in new ideas, ways of working, etc.
It would benefit your application if you were able to demonstrate the following:
- Hold a relevant Level 6 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience in establishing or operating engineering governance arrangements, including participation in independent technical reviews
- Experience of developing engineering management plans and resource planning
- Have familiarity with maritime safety and environmental regulatory frameworks.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.