- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Product Safety Manager
An exciting opportuny has arisen to become part of the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Protection (ASEP) discipline within DE&S as a Product Safety Manager.
If successful, you will be deployed into the Weapons Operating Centre (WOC).
The WOC is responsible for the supply of new weapon systems, in-service support of existing weapon systems and management of the UK's stockpile of munitions, providing expert advice on ordnance and explosives, and delivering a range of pan-Defence Test & Evaluation services. In addition, the WOC maintains and delivers a full range of logistic and engineering support services, for the weapon systems it manages, through its Defence Munitions (DM) depots.
The WOC munitions portfolio ranges from pyrotechnics and small arms ammunition to ship-launched, air-launched and mobile land-based complex weapon systems and their supporting equipment. Candidates for Safety & Environmental (S&E) roles at this level in the WOC must have previous experience in S&E management and, ideally, have an engineering or technical background. The ability to communicate effectively is essential, in order to interact with other DE&S and MoD organisations, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Front Line Commands and Industry, throughout the acquisition cycle. Occasional international travel may be required.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this post is reserved for Sole UK Nationals only.
As our Product Safety Manager, you will be responsible for providing expert advice and guidance, supporting the delivery of Acquisition Safety requirements and solutions across the business.
This will include regular interaction with both internal and external stakeholders and advising customers. It involves through life management of complex project safety and environmental risk management delivery in support of safe and suitable equipment, systems, and services to Front Line Commands.
As a Product Safety Manager, you will also:
* Continually develop your working knowledge of DE&S Safety policy and process, (through Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management Systems ASEMS) and the DSA regulatory framework.
* Be responsible for the maintenance, review and uplift of key safety artefacts including Safety and Environmental Management Systems, Plans and Case Reports.
* Attend and act as our representative at Safety and Environmental Management Committees, providing oversight of Portfolio/Delivery Team Safety & Environmental management.
* Attend Project Safety Panels, discussing key safety issues, analysing safety accidents and incidents, review of risk assessments, and ensuring compliance with MOD and UK/EU regulations and legislation.
* Manage the output from these Safety & Environmental focussed meetings, ensuring action plans are in place and driven through with the team.
* Use your strong communication and Stakeholder management skills to regularly engage with our Front Line Customers and external suppliers, ensuring requirements are properly identified to inform project development.
* Undertake System Safety Risk Assessments and develop mitigations to manage and control risks, taking forward where appropriate.
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
* Hold a minimum Level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) in a relevant Engineering or Science subject or be able to demonstrate the equivalent experience.
* Have demonstrable experience of developing and maintaining Safety Cases and Hazard Logs, production of Safety Case Reports and Assessments.
* Experience of implementing, developing and maintaining Safety and Environmental Management Systems in compliance with appropriate UK/EU legislation and regulations.
* Demonstrable experience of Strong communication and stakeholder management skills across multiple levels.
* Demonstrable ability to deal with technical issues and problem solving.
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience within a Weapons Operating and Safety Management environment utilising the full Concept, Assessment, Demonstration, Manufacture, In-Service, Disposal (CADMID) cycle for a wide range of munitions covering Land Sea and Air applications
* Experience with MOD / DE&S policy, process and regulations.
* Experience in use of Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management Systems and developing Safety and Environmental Case Reports (SECR).
* Experience dealing with Ordnance Munitions and Explosives safety / systems.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
* Implementation of policy and procedures
* Compliance with System Safety requirements
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
* Communicating and influencing
* Changing and improving
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.