- Hiring hub
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Submit vacancy
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Assistant Commercial Officer
DE&S are looking for a number of Assistant Commericial Officers to be based in Bristol, remote workign is an option but regular travel to Abbey Wood is required
The DE&S & SDA Commercial Function is made up of around 1000 people who provide independent, professional judgement on commercial, procurement and contract management matters to meet the Armed Force's needs, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and guidance, whilst driving value for the customer. As a member of the Commercial team, you will play a key part in helping to equip and support the armed forces for everything from disaster relief and reconstruction to peacekeeping and humanitarian aid. People in the commercial function provide independent professional judgement on commercial and procurement business matters. It is made up of professionals specialising in competition; tendering and contracting; contract management; commercial risk and compliance with public procurement regulations.
We are currently looking for Assistant Commercial Officers who will have commercial experience and be able to provide administrative support to cover routine aspects of the function's activities, including negotiations, contract sourcing, contract management, corporate activities, sales and disposals. Assistant Commercial Officer assignments have a delegation up to £0.25M (max).
Other Commercial roles can also include those within DE&S/SDA Corporate Commercial, for example supporting Function activities with Assurance and Training or Commercial Business Improvement.
DE&S/SDA have opportunities for Assistant Commercial Officers to join our team, allowing you to work on a huge variety of vitally important programmes that will ensure that people entrusted with the defence of the nation have the tools and equipment to do the best job they can.
Responsibilities of an Assistant Commercial Officer in DE&S/SDA may include:
- Negotiating terms and pricing, placing and manage contracts and contract amendments up to a maximum delegation of £0.25M in accordance with the Ministry of Defence policy.
- Communicating in a timely manner with a range of internal and external stakeholders including Senior Leadership, suppliers and Subject Matter Experts.
- Provide assurance and due diligence commercial activity within own area of responsibility in order to provide confidence in commercial outcomes.
- Providing advice to Commercial Assistants.
- Contributing to wider Commercial Function and business improvement activities.
This is an excellent opportunity to begin or continue your career in the Civil Service. The clear and structured career path within the Commercial function provides many opportunities to develop as we offer an array of training and development opportunities to help our employees develop their skills and experience.
If successful you will be supported to undertake the following:
* Relevant Study for Chartered Institution of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) to achieve Level 4 qualification, if not already held. This will be funded by DE&S / SDA.
* Practitioner Level Accreditation Panel to demonstrate Government Commercial Function (GCF) professional standard.
* Attend defence commercial professionalism courses to develop commercial skills and ensure on-going Continuing Professional Development.
Please note, whilst successful candidates may need to spend a couple of days a week in our Abbey Wood site there will be an option to flexibly work remotely from home.
Please also note that some of the positions available will be open to Sole UK Nationals only and some successful applicants will need to be able to pass DV clearance within the first year of starting the post.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.