- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Engineering Technical Specialist
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines.
The SSNR Programme is an early-stage design programme to develop and deliver a class of Attack Submarines to replace the Astute class as they reach the end of their design lives. The programme team is currently engaged in a 3 year initial design phase, working with the BAE Systems shipyard in Barrow and wider UK industrial partners to build on existing and future UK Submarine technologies and define the design of a class of Submarine that will be in service until the late 2080's.
The team are based in Bristol but this role will require significant interaction with the UK Submarine supply chain as well as teams supporting classes of Submarine presently in-build and in-service. This position will be based at HM Naval Base Clyde, remote working is available with some requirement on site when needed. Occasional travel to the Barrow-in-Furness site will also be required.
We are now looking for an Engineering Technical Specialist, working with the naval architecture area/function of the SSNR Programme, with a focus on spatial integration.
As the Engineering Technical Specialist, you report into the Design Lead and Chief Engineer for the SSNR programme. The Spatial Team ensures that the Functional Design can be spatially accommodated and integrated within the physical boundaries of the submarine to deliver a GA (General Arrangement) for the Astute class that is optimised to meet Functional and Transversal Requirements. Spatial Governance will be achieved by ensuring processes are developed then applied during the design stages thus ensuring that stakeholders are actively involved in key decisions that define the GA.
The spatial integration is one of the key elements of Submarine Operational capability and the successful incumbent will need to be demonstrate a strong knowledge of submarines, spatial integration, and provide SME advice into the team for special arrangements into the submarines, following design rules and principles, able to advise where required for items that need to be changed and innovated as part of the build process.
Please note that due to the nature of the projects involved, this role is open to applications from SOLE UK NATIONALS only.
As the Engineering Technical Specialist, you will have deep experience ideally in Engineering, submarine operation and able to demonstrate good knowledge of where all elements of the internal submarine is placed. This experience will ideally have been gained within a Naval Architecture environment with submarines and spatial integration, or from within an operational Military environment/role with submarines. This will also include:
* Leading as part of the Spatial Team to ensure the spatial design has been adequately assessed during design acceptance.
* You will be the liaison for the spatial integration/Spatial Team between the Royal Navy and SDA, capability sponsors and with key industry partners, to ensure a coherent approach.
* Able to present to Royal Navy service personnel up to senior, clearly and effectively to communicate and articulate key information.
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following extensive applied submarine knowledge in the following:
* Nuclear plant, propulsion systems, ship systems (including electrical and C&I), supporting systems or combat systems
* SSN operations, maintenance and repair alongside and at sea
* CAT A supervisor or SCOOW
* Experience of Royal Naval Branch Structure and associated training requirements
* Knowledge of Royal Navy submarine design
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Chartered Engineer or MSc/BSc degree qualified
* 3D CAD modelling experience
* Extensive knowledge of DefStan 08-123
* Knowledge of Teamcentre
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.