- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Test Equipment Design Engineer (Electro-Mechanical)
An opportunity has arisen with a leading company in the defence sector for an Electro-Mechanical Design Engineer in their Centre of Excellence for Test Equipment.
- Tasked with the design of mechanical fixtures, jigs and electronics enclosures in support of the System/Hardware Design Teams. Making engineering decisions within the delegated remit and acting as a design authority as appropriate.
- Expected to take the lead in evaluating the technical issues involved in a project and developing suitable proposals. Taking these proposals forward with detailed analyses, investigations and concise conclusions.
- Responsible for preparing specifications and bids, developing designs, carrying out design appraisals and recording and publishing designs in the company database.
- Taking an active role in maintaining and modifying relevant engineering processes and procedures. Also working closely with managers to develop team improvements.
- Managing projects, planning and controlling multiple work packages simultaneously, handling personal priorities and using diplomacy and dexterity to manage stakeholders expectations.
- Creating drawing packages to ISO 2768, utilising Datum Systems and carrying out tolerance studies as required.
- Working across multiple projects and developing solutions for products at differing stages of maturity including prototyping, production and end-user equipment.
- Skilled in reviewing existing or newly manufactured hardware to fault-find and de-bug. Refining the results to feed back in to the design process.
- Excellent communication skills are required to create and maintain working relationships with multi-disciplinary teams and national/international colleagues. Acting as a main point of contact for customers (internal) and suppliers.
- Keeping up-to-date with relevant technical knowledge, identifying personal or team skill gaps, developing capabilities and approaching challenges with an innovative and logical methodology.
- Offer support and guidance to junior team members and apprentices.
What are we looking for?
- Significant practical experience in Mechanical/Electro Mechanical Design and Development with an understanding of machined, cast and sheet metal parts, 3D printing and electronic packaging design.
- An ability to work from first principles or to pick up legacy work and adapt it accordingly. Demonstrating a creative yet analytical approach to problem solving.
- Good level of experience in the phases of the engineering life cycle.
- Able to work independently to support various types of engineering problems and help guide the Project Teams to a suitable conclusion.
- Capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and assisting less experienced members of the team to prioritise effectively.
- A suitable engineering degree or equivalent vocational qualification and/or experience.
- Relevant 3D CAD/CAE (ProEngineer / CREO / Windchill) experience. (other CAD Packages such as Solidworks / Solidedge will be considered).
- Possession of excellent communication skills and the capability to tailor language appropriately to suit the intended audience.
- You will have a willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, able to set priorities and deal with multiple issues, de-escalating potential conflicts as necessary.
- An understanding of Manufacturing processes, design for EMC , Connectors to BS & military specifications, Tolerance studies, Environmental test, Thermal management design, Material selection, PCB/Flexi manufacture, Standard electronic components.
- An understanding of commercial and financial impacts to the work and the business strategies that may be influencing the approach to a particular project.
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.