- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Security Engineer (Cyber Security and Weapons)
DE&S has an exciting opportunity for two Security Engineers within the Weapons Operating Centre at MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol. The roles have a focus on cyber security for weapons systems
The first is within the Long Range Precision Strike (LRPS) Delivery Team, and the other role is associated with development state-of-the-art weapons known as Directed Energy Weapons (DEW).
You will become the technical authority to enable the teams to deliver equipment that is resilient to growing cyber equipment threats now and in the future. The LRPS role is responsible for two complex weapon programmes; the in-service Storm Shadow Weapon System and the Future Cruise / Anti-ship Weapon, and the DEW role is responsible for a portfolio of three Pre-Concept Capability Demonstrators. The roles will cover all areas of Information Security, Cyber and Information Assurance, across the Land domains.
This is a professional engineer role managing the delivery of security requirements and associated tasks through all phases of the acquisition lifecycle. If successful in this position, you will be required to develop and manage the Security Case at a project level, to protect assets through-life ensuring that capability remains operational. A key aspect of the work will be to identify and manage the security risks associated with projects in any phase of the acquisition lifecycle. You will be influential in demonstrating your knowledge and experience with security in relation to engineering projects. This role will encompass elements of planning and performance reporting within the Weapons Operating Centre. As a result, you will enhance your skills and subject matter knowledge to help DE&S ensure that the armed forces can operate in the most demanding environments.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for SOLE UK Nationals.
Within this role you will:
* Act as a technical authority within the team on cyber and security, supporting team members and customers as required
* Understand the business and operational environment of the equipment to their team, and the cyber security risks that systems of interest are subject technical authority for the system.
* Provide advice on the residual cyber security risk at entry into service, and through life, to customers and users, supporting the development of any resulting Risk Balance Cases as a technical authority
* Security artefacts - Developing security artefacts ; risk management document accreditation sets, file security instructions, developing main security case for a weapon system in line with the process
* Security documents -lead the development of required system security documents and collate them in a system security case, will take the lead with security cases and will be responsible for developing these.
* Assess system changes (technology or process) for potential cyber safety risks and propose effective mitigations * Balance cyber security risk against the cost of countermeasure, other areas of system performance and operational effectiveness
* Creating trials instructions
* Attendance and coordination of working security groups
* Establish right process and policies in places moving forward, may need to create new policies due to new tolerances in service and re-look at this, ensure fit for purpose and relevant to the weapons area/system they are in. * Working in Weapons Operations centre and with STL
* Sign off equipment/system Security Cases and Security Case Reports
* Identifying technical threats, vulnerabilities and mitigations.
* Applying standard security techniques and architectures to mitigate security risks.
This role may suit a junior to mid level engineer upwards, with experience within cyber secuirty or weapons systems, in line with the essential criteria below. The wilingness to develop your skills in this field is key.
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
* Experience as a Security Engineer, with either Cyber security or weapons systems background
* Delivery in a cyber-security or information assurance role, ideally producing key artefacts
* Systems engineering of complex systems and equipment, ideally in a military context or related engineering / technical systems environment
* CISSP or Associate CISSP registration (or working towards and/or other relevant industry-recognised registration)
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* BA HONS in Cyber Security or related technical degree (Level 6)
* Air and ships experience (industry or from a Military environment, ideally relating to systems or cyber/tech)
* Experience of working in a MOD acquisition environment.
* NCSC Certified Cyber Professional (CCP) registration as "Practitioner" in one or more roles
Matchtech acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers and is part of Gattaca Plc.
Gattaca Plc provides support services to Matchtech and may assist with processing your application.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.