- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Software Safety Consultant
Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) requires Software Safety Consultants to join the Programmable Elements Specialism, within the Internal Technical Support team of the Engineering function, based out of Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol.
By joining the Engineering function, you will be joining one of the biggest functions within DE&S. The Engineering function's primary objective is to focus on the delivery of our equipment and support by providing specialist expertise in domain-related disciplines such as: mechanical, electrical & power distribution; software, sensors & electronic systems; acquisition safety & environmental protection; quality assurance; ordnance munitions & explosives; and systems engineering & integration.
The Internal Technical Support (ITS) team is DE&S's in-house technical consultancy team, established to reduce our reliance on Private Sector Support (PSS) expenditure across the whole of DE&S. The ITS Independent Safety Environmental Audit (ISEA) team is a significant and growing area of consultancy, providing the business with an independent Safety and/or Environmental audit or advice service. The Programmable Elements (PE) Specialism team are currently seeking to recruit suitable personnel to grow the current team enabling greater support to project and programme PE safety activities across DE&S. Within this specialism, you will provide expert independent PE safety advice and audit, in support of project and programme activities across all areas of the organisation. As an independent PE safety Auditor/Advisor, you will provide an increasing catalogue of services to DE&S Delivery Teams, assuring the delivery of safe and suitable equipment to the Front Line, which encompasses functionality through PE.
The role will focus on assurance of process compliance against software Defence Standards (Def Stans) and associated Recognised Good Practice (RGP) Standards (e.g. IEC 61508), rather than the Independent Technical Evaluation (ITE) of software systems.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Scoping fixed price technical consultancy tasks to meet customers' needs and be deliverable to cost, time and quality
- Managing the delivery of fixed price technical consultancy tasks to customer satisfaction, cost, time and quality
- Helping clients solve complex PE safety challenges and problems
- Working on complex products, systems and services
- Provide an independent PE audit capability against a catalogue of services to provide best practice and best value to the customer
- Having a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Industry RGP, for example - IEC 61508 (functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic related systems) or any recognised PE Safety Standard. Knowledge and understanding of Def Stan 00-055 (Requirements for Safety of Programable Elements (PE) in Defence) would be advantageous
- Audit and review of PE Safety Management Plans (PESMP), PE within Safety Cases & PE Safety Summary report (PESS) or equivalent industry artefacts
- Stakeholder management and communication at a senior level, acting as the PE independent Subject Matter Expert (SME) to challenge delivery teams and industry partners on best practice, acceptable and proportionate means of compliance, continuous improvement, risk analysis and mitigation techniques
To be successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Programmable Elements engineering experience from within regulated industry (e.g. defence, aerospace, automotive, nuclear)
- Demonstrable ability to scope and deliver high quality outputs to time and cost against developed programmes of work
- Demonstrate an understanding of PE within systems, PE reliability, systematic failure, Commercial Off-The Shelf (COTS) defence equipment and the reuse of PE ('proven-In-Use')
- Demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of developing clear, logical and convincing PE safety arguments in support of safety assessments or safety cases
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- An engineering qualification with a further Bachelors/Postgraduate (preferably an MSc) qualification in Software/PE Engineering/Systems Safety
- Evidence of training or a qualification related to PE related safety standards (i.e. IEC 61508)
- Understanding and experience of PE within military domains (Maritime, Weapons, Air or Land)
- Holding or working toward a Lead Auditor qualification
- A Chartered Engineer or working toward Chartered status
- Consultancy experience
Please note that some of these posts will be restricted to sole UK nationals only, and may require Developed Vetting security clearance, which candidates must be willing and able to complete.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.