- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Engineering Safety Manager
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) are looking for an Engineering Safety Manager, to fill an overarching role, operating within the SDA Chief Engineer's Team in the Central Safety and Environmental Cell.
As the Engineering Safety Manager, the key focus of this role will be on platform and product safety.
This role is associated with providing policy/strategy and arrangements for the business, and undertaking audit/assurance activities.
In your team, you will provide expert independent safety advice, covering facilities, product and people, across the disciplines of environmental and product safety.
Please note - due to the nature of the projects involved, this role is open to SOLE UK NATIONALS only.
Operating as our Engineering Safety Manager, you will have comprehensive knowledge, understanding and experience using a range of safety tools and techniques, allowing you to demonstrate a proven track record, using specific examples, of high-hazard, high-consequence, and complex systems.
You will also have practical experience implementing safety management systems for products, services or systems, either as part of design or in-service support.
As part of your role you will:
* Work on complex products, systems and services in maritime, acting on behalf of the SDA Head of Safety and Environmental Production in all matters relating to the purposes of the role, keeping the Head of S&EP informed and consulting where major policy and controversial issues are involved.
* Manage audit/inspection of Project and Delivery Teams and Duty Holder/Authorisee's safety management arrangements and provide advice to teams on compliance with safety policy and standards for platforms, equipment and munitions, including compliance with various DSA standards and publications.
* Draft new, and maintain current, pan-SDA Safety Policies, Strategies and Arrangements.
* Assist the Head of S&EP with driving a step change in Safety Culture across the SDA, including a programme of continuous Safety Improvement, ensuring that the SDA becomes a Proactive Safety Organisation (Hudson Model) by end of 2021.
* Ensure that the annually agreed Safety Targets and Objectives of the Safety Committee are met and escalated to the ExCo and Board where appropriate.
* Utilise your knowledge and experience developing, producing, assessing and approval of safety cases, developing clear, logical and convincing safety arguments in support of safety assessments or safety cases.
* Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Safety Case improvements, to drive improvement in through life safety cases including the in-build and maintenance elements.
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
* Hold a minimum level 6 qualification (e.g. BEng Qual) in Engineering, Science, Nuclear, Systems Safety, or other safety discipline.
* Professional registration with a relevant institution.
* Demonstrable experience of management of a safety and/or environmental team, undertaking high risk and high consequence activities.
It would benefit your application should be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience in the submarine industry.
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following technical competencies:
* Technical Decision Making
* Compliance with policy
If you are invited to an interview, you will be assessed against the following behaviours:
* Communicating and influencing
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.