- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Account sign in temporarily unavailable
We are currently conducting maintenance on this area of the website, including the contractor portal for timesheets and payslips. We hope to have everything back up and running shortly and this should not affect any payment runs. Thank you for your patience.
Sonar Systems Engineer
Are you a Sonar Systems Expert looking to be part of innovative and exciting team within Defence, Equipment and Support (DE&S)? If so, this may be great opportunity for you!
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our Armed Forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition. If you have the pride, passion and commitment to be part of an exciting organisation at the forefront of supporting our country's Armed Forces to deliver on operations at home and abroad, then apply online now! We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities. You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, DE&S supports Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
The Underwater and Electronic Warfare (UEW) team sits in the Maritime Combat Systems 1* area as part of the Ships Support organisation. The UEW equipment portfolio covers Sonar and Sensor systems, Visual systems and Mine Neutralisation and Exploitation. UEW has around 30 active projects establishing future support arrangements and the delivery of new capability, alongside a large in-service support business with upward of 30 support contracts. These are delivered through four sections; Capability Development (CD), Sensors (SENS), Underwater Warfare (UW) and Spearhead Anti-Submarine Warfare (S2087 Optimisation). As Sonar Systems Engineer, you will sit within the Underwater portfolio and utilise the 'Spearhead principle', which is to seek to work in an agile framework, by accelerating Design, Development, Test, Evaluation, Trials & Acceptance of capability, from Science & Technology or Industry concepts delivering the best solutions into service by working at pace.
Please note that due the security requirements of the role, this position is restricted to Sole UK nationals only.
You will be responsible for developing the Engineering Management Plans in-line with Systems Development lifecycle, including but not limited to:
- Act as System Approval Authority; using your engineering thinking to be subject matter expert, undertaking projects from concept through to in-service, optimising Sonar or Underwater Acoustics systems across a wide variety of MOD projects
- Take a pro-active and innovative approach, leaning on your key knowledge of current Sonar technology to:
- Develop and review the scope
- Develop, review and manage the technical & system requirements (including DOORS)
- Lead on Preliminary Design Review Engineering Activities and Critical Design Review Activities, and provide engineering assurance throughout the development and in-service cycle.
- Develop an Integrated Test, Evaluation and Acceptance Plan (including planning and trial activities) applying SMART techniques to drive the projects to successful implementation.
- Ensuring security and safety is maintained and appropriate assurance can be given that the system complies with all applicable policy and legislative requirements, including contributing to the development of safety artefacts
Under the Spearhead Programme, there will be opportunities for you to undertake all aspects of the CADMID (Concept Assessment Development Manufacturing In-Service Disposal) cycle.
You will also be expected to oversee shipborne activities, and will be required to travel to Client sites occasionally for the development of detailed technical proposals as well as providing technical consultation on future technological solutions. You will also play a key role in managing and mentoring.
What you will be assessed against To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in Engineering or Science discipline or equivalent relevant experience.
- Significant experience of integrating engineering solutions into complex systems
- Evidence of setting technical requirements for a complex system through the acquisition life cycle
- Demonstrable experience of working on sonar/underwater systems and an extensive understanding of sonar principles
- Experience of working with diverse stakeholder groups to deliver an outcome
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Specific knowledge of S2087 (2087) or wider Anti-Submarine Warfare sensors / technology
- Experience of software management, open architecture or shared infrastructure development
- Experience of contributing to the development of demonstrably safe systems including safety artefacts
- Experience of engineering governance and assurance
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
- Technical Decision Making
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.