- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- About us
Mission Systems Lead Engineer
The DE&S Air Engineering Function is looking for a talented engineer to join their team as the Lightning Mission Systems Lead Engineer, within the Lightning Delivery Team at MoD Abbey Wood, Bristol.
The Lightning Delivery Team is responsible for developing, acquiring and supporting the UK's growing fleet of F-35B multi-role, combat aircraft. The team is comprised of specialist engineers, logisticians, commercial officers and project-mangers who work in collaboration with International partners and Industry to develop and sustain the UK's Lightning fleet as an advanced '5th generation' capability for UK Defence.
THIS POST S RESERVED FOR SOLE UK NATIONALS ONLY.
The role will lead the Lightning Delivery Team Mission Systems team, covering Software, Communications, Navigation, Datalinks and Interoperability, Sensors, Electronic Warfare, Electro-magnetic Environmental Effects, and Flight Control Systems for a highly complex 5th Generation Fighter Aircraft. Software is intrinsic across the Air System, with Mission Systems a particularly software intensive area. The role will cover both development and integration activities as well as certification activity and management of in-service technical issues, leading a team of 10 engineers split between MoD Abbey Wood and RAF Marham, and staff embedded in the USA.
Responsibilities: Main tasks include, but are not limited to:
* Working with colleagues across a broad international technical programme to obtain insight, exert influence, communicate matters of a technical basis and to ensure appropriate prioritisation of UK requirements or technical queries.
* Management of the Mission Systems team certification activity for a 5th Generation Aircraft in accordance with Def Stan 00-970 and MIL-HDBK-516C.
* Management of Mission Systems related in-service technical issues to ensure continued readiness and availability of the UK's Lightning aircraft.
* Liaison and interface with the US Joint Program Office (JPO) and US based MOD staff as well as other Lightning Delivery Team desks to understand planned technical changes and modernisation particularly with regards to software, mission support and interoperability (including integration into the UK environment).
* The development and management of local policy and procedures.
* Being based at MoD Abbey Wood, with the ability to travel to RAF Marham or overseas for training or to support Lightning Delivery Teams requirements.
* Primary Delivery Manager of the personnel within the Mission Systems team.
* Working effectively within the Lightning Delivery Team's engineering team and reporting to the Development Engineer, Certification Engineer, In-Service Engineer, and Engineering Manager.
To be successful you must have:
* Significant demonstrable experience of leading a similar engineering team
* Relevant Level 4 qualification in an Engineering discipline, or equivalent experience
* Substantial engineering experience of the Air industry
* Substantial Aircraft systems knowledge
* Experience of working on the development and fielding of modern, software intensive, highly integrated Air Systems
* Experience of working on international projects
* Knowledge and experience of in-service support of modern air systems
* Membership of a relevant Professional Institution with Engineering Council registration of at least Incorporated Engineer, or the ability to achieve Incorporated within 6 months, in order to hold a Letter of Airworthiness Authority. * Confident and capable verbal and written communication skills
* IT competence * Be able to pass the Developed Vetting process.
It will be beneficial to have:
Knowledge and experience of UK military maintenance, assurance and operating practices
* F-35 systems knowledge
* F-35 maintenance and operating experience
* Autonomic Logistics Information System (ALIS) operating system knowledge and experience
* Experience of working closely with the US on the development and fielding of modern, software intensive, highly integrated Air Systems
* Experience in UK airworthiness management and documentation production/control
* Experience of working in a similar Special Access Programme or similar classified environment.
Due to the security requirements of this role, you will be required to obtain DV (Developed Vetting) within 6 months of appointment and the role is open for SOLE UK NATIONALS only.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.