- Looking to hire?
- Our services
- Our locations
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- Submit vacancy
- IR35 hub
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
An exciting opportunity for a Submarine Naval Architect / Marine Engineer in the Naval Authority Group, helping deliver safe, capable and available submarines, both current and future, for operation by the Royal Navy.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1500 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
An exciting opportunity for a Submarine Naval Architect / Marine Engineer in the Naval Authority Group, helping deliver safe, capable and available submarines, both current and future, for operation by the Royal Navy. The Naval Authority Group (NAG) is a pan-maritime group supporting Submarines and Ships, within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). The Naval Authority Group is responsible for:
- Provision of Naval Authority Safety Assurance including Certification activities
- Provision of NAG Technical Support including development of technical solutions and SME advice and guidance
- Delivery of Training and Development activities including the running of NAG specific courses, seminars and functions to support SQEP (Suitably Qualified and Experienced Person) development
- Development management of Maritime Technical Publications
- Management of the Maritime Strategic Capability Agreement (MSCA), between MOD and QinetiQ
- The NAG SM team provide Naval Authority Assurance and Subject Matter Expertise (SME) to the Submarine projects from concept, through build and in-service
The post holder will work in a small team contributing to the safe management of RN Submarine Structures, managing Key Hazard Certification, undertaking structural analysis and providing Subject Matter Expertise to the submarine projects from concept to in-service. You will be developed to use SM Structures analysis tools along with Finite Element Analysis and be responsible for the maintenance of a portfolio of SM Structures naval standards and guidance documentation. You will have graduated responsibilities in the following areas:
- Reviewing Officer for SM Structures Key Hazard Certification
- Undertake Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for SM Structural issues in support of SM projects
- Provide Subject Matter advice to SM Projects
- Maintain and when appropriate write SM Structures guidance documents in support of projects and industry
- Assist with the development and maintenance of SM Structures training activities and courses
To be found successful you must demonstrate the following essential criteria:
- Qualified to a minimum of Level 4 (e.g. HNC) in naval architecture / Shipbuilding or related subject
It would benefit your application should you be able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- Practical experience in SM Structures
- FEA capability in Abaqus
- Qualified to Level 7 (e.g. MEng) in Naval Architecture or equivalent
- Working towards membership of Professional Institution and CEng status
- Attended the UCL submarine design course
Please note that, due to security requirements, this role is limited to SOLE UK NATIONALS ONLY.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.