- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Work for us
- About us
- Our sectors
- Our affiliations
- Our international capability
- Why Matchtech?
- Submit vacancy
- Executive search
Our client, Southern Water are looking to recruit Field based Mechanical Fitters to undertake mechanical repair and maintenance work on their treatment works. It will be a field based position covering East Kent.
There are 3 available mechanical positions in East Kent.
1 x Mechanical Fitter covering Ashford area
2 x Mechanical Fitter covering Canterbury area
To undertake the day-to-day maintenance of, and repairs to, water and wastewater treatment works, sludge treatment centres and pumping stations to ensure all environmental, quality and customer service standards are met, whilst meeting H&S legislation and achieving budgetary targets.
* To undertake reactive and planned maintenance of plant and equipment on a daily basis.
* To coach, train and develop staff under their supervision, this to include the apprenticeship programme
* To install new plant and equipment as required
* Provide technical expertise to Internal & External contractors.
* Manage projects internally and provide the technical expertise to contractors working for Southern Water
* To respond to alarms and fault find to identify issues, fix these or escalate if required
* To carry out inspection and test on electrical equipment following company procedures
* To gain quotations for parts, equipment or from contractors for work to be carried out
* To provide self-quotations for work to be carried out, so assessment can be made against contractor prices.
* To update the necessary company systems and databases as required accurately and promptly
* To identify possible future risks and recommend changes in the course of their day-to-day work and to raise these for resolution as required.
* To provide standby cover on a 24/7 basis in case of emergency or out-of-hours issue
* To keep up to date with new technology and approaches to ensure they can service existing plant/equipment and are able to identify opportunities to utilise new methods/approaches in their work.
* Able to understand and/or use standard equipment and tools required of speciality and manufacture simple parts (welding etc)
* Understands operational processes and impacts
* Can read and understand technical Mechanical drawings
* Able to self teach due to experience/expertise
* Understands Southern Water operations
* Aware of new products
* Must understand permitted standards of discharge at Wastewater Treatment Work's and forwarding rates at Wastewater Pumping Station's
* Must understand ISO9001 procedures when working on Water Supply Works
* Health and Safety (selves and public)
* Regulatory risk and Legislative compliance (e.g Street works Act)
Skills and Competencies:
* Good written and verbal communication
* Able to work effectively under pressure
* Good collaborative and influencing skills
* Adaptable/flexible and self motivated
Experience and Qualifications:
* Knowledge or mechanical experience in a heavy industry
* Has completed a recognised apprenticeship in an industrial area
* ONC or equivalent in speciality area