- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
We recognise the growing importance of the use of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUV) and offboard systems to help support our Royal Navy submarine fleet. As a result, our SDA Autonomy Unit (SDA-AU) need dedicated Engineering Managers.
Our team work intimately with the Royal Navy, technology suppliers and innovators to fully understand the potential, steer the readiness of systems and deliver solutions matched to capability requirements. SDA-AU must challenge established processes whilst pioneering agile ways of working, to explore how best to utilise autonomy in the underwater battlespace. We have been specifically selected to deliver a number of technology demonstration projects, and it's therefore our mission to expand this unit into a diversely experienced, multi-functional team with the ability to think openly whilst developing innovation at pace.
Successful applicants will be allocated to either one or two of the new projects, "CETUS" or "CHARYBDIS". CETUS is a 27tonne, 12m AUV Demonstrator in which specific responsibility is required for establishing technical specification, evaluating tenders and ensuring requirements and delivery are met for its design and build. Alternatively, you'll be providing engineering focus to the CHARYBDIS development programme; liaising with industry to seek development and demonstration of novel and emerging technologies.
Please note, work on the CHARYBDIS development programme will require the successful applicant to be a sole UK national who is willing and able to undertake DV clearance once in the post.
As our Engineering Manager, you'll use your technical expertise to manage a breadth of engineering activities on either project, overseeing and coordinating a team of specialist engineers and scientists to deliver engineering solutions. These unique opportunities will allow the successful applicants the opportunity to work closely with industry to challenge 'the known' and spearhead the use of future technology.
Dependent on project allocation, your responsibilities may include:
* Leading on technical studies exploring AUV concepts and the application of AUV to the future of underwater battle
* Managing the procurement of all aspects of the technical project
* Assessing the development of competing proposals and evaluating technical artefacts of tenders
These positions are based at Abbeywood with opportunity for remote working. Please also note that occasional travel to sites across the UK will be required.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* HNC (e.g. Level 4 or higher) qualification in a relevant subject, or equivalent experience
* Significant experience of providing technical advice in managing technical, novel and innovative engineering projects to solve technical requirements
* Experience interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* A keen interest in leading/emerging technologies
* Experience of technology development and/or demonstration
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
* Technical Decision Making
* Changing and improving
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.