- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Air Engineering Manager
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food, and ammunition.
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
You will be based out of the location listed above in the advert, however, DE&S supports Smarter working, which empowers you to make decisions about when, where and how you work.
We, at DE&S, have exciting opportunities across a wide range of disciplines across the Air Environment (Combat Air, Air Support and Helicopters Operating Centres) We are looking for people with experience in avionics, structural integrity (whole aircraft), mechanical systems, propulsion, electronics, weapons integration, security, software or support equipment in an air environment. We would be particularly interested in applications from people with an aviation regulatory environment background.
If you are interested in becoming part of the UK Ministry of Defence Aerospace Programme, supporting our armed forces in current and future operations, then please get in touch!
In return, careers within the Air domain offer stability, professional development and the chance to work on high profile and exciting projects, where we will continue to cultivate your passion for problem solving and leading others. We support a positive and proactive mind set, with a great work/life balance and an array of other benefits that come with being a member of the Civil Service.
Most of these opportunities require the post holder to be able to achieve an Airworthiness Letter of Delegation within 12 months of appointment.
These roles will be reporting into management, based at Abbey Wood. Our teams are currently working predominantly from home, due to COVID-19 restrictions. Under our general conditions, we offer flexible working arrangements and we would be happy to discuss these with successful candidates.
Please note that one of these posts will be reserved and so requires a Sole UK National, willing to undergo Developed Vetting.
As our Air Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of activity against engineering management plans, including engagement with various stakeholders, such as the Aviation Duty Holder, the air regulatory authorities and industry, to ensure systems and equipment are safe by design and remain safe to operate.
Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Managing the delivery of all engineering aspects in your area of responsibility, as defined in the assignment specification or objectives, including managing the acquisition safety aspects
* Providing expert advice and guidance, in your own technical area, to solve complex technical problems and identify application risks
* Managing the technical requirements for the acquisition life cycle stage of one or more projects, programmes, services or systems
* Monitoring and implementing any governance and assurance policies and procedures, to ensure the 'safe and professional' status of your area led
* Leading on the development of requirements related to your area of specialism, including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
* Interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks
* You will utilise your knowledge of safety regulations, policies and engineering processes and their appropriate application to Air platforms, systems and equipment in order to successfully lead engineering teams.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application, you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification in an engineering related subject or will demonstrate equivalent experience in the aerospace industry
* You will have demonstrable experience of managing and influencing a variety of senior stakeholders on policy, process and technical risk management
* You will have demonstrable experience of successfully implementing engineering management plans
* You will hold Incorporated Engineer status or demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* You will have led Engineering teams and activities
It would benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Experience of applying air regulations (in a civil or military aviation environment)
* Evidence of maintaining continued professional development and assisting with the development of others
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical decision making
* Technical risk management
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.