- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
SDA Marine Structural Engineer
Do you have a passion for naval structures, naval architecture or marine engineering? Do you want to work as part of a team helping to deliver safe, capable and available submarines for operation by the Royal Navy?
We have two exciting positions here in In-Service Submarines (ISM) within the SDA. We are looking for Marine Structural Engineers to join our team, which work closely with a number of stakeholders to maintain submarine structures for the in-service fleet.
Due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Responsibilities of the Marine Structural Engineer
In these roles, you will provide specialist advice and guidance on safety related and technical issues to maintain frontline operational capability within a fast-paced and challenging team.
The key responsibilities of the roles may include, but not be limited to, the following:
* Owning and managing design intent for primary or secondary submarine structure (each role will own a single area of structure)
* Assessing and advising on structural design change, material state evidence, defects, contract requirements and certification of key hazards
* Creating, reviewing and accepting maintenance requirements
* Advising on safety and performance characteristics of submarine pressure hulls and maintain design intent
* Collating and presenting material state evidence for sea clearance and Naval Authority Certification
* Managing a team of engineers and develop their submarine structures experience
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Hold a relevant Level 4 (e.g. HNC, or higher) qualification or have equivalent experience
* Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* Be a Member of a relevant Professional Engineering / Science Institute or equivalent body
* Have wide ranging depth and breadth of structural engineering, naval architecture or submarine systems knowledge and experience
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge, or experience, of submarine structures engineering
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Application of Analytical Techniques
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
* Communicating and influencing
* Changing and improving
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more. Find out more about SDA by clicking here.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, SDA promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within the SDA - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within the SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.