- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Join an integral part of the UK's Defence and play your part in the procurement and in-service support of all our armed forces' equipment, from fighter jets, armoured vehicles and aircraft carriers, to clothing, food and ammunition.
We have exciting and unique opportunities based at RAF Coningsby, to join us at Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) as a Project Manager.
Depending on your skill sets and our business prioritization, you could be involved in either 'The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight' Integrated Support Arrangements Project (BISAP) or the 'Typhoon' Project.
BISAP is a multi-million pound project, which involves liaising and managing key relationships with stakeholders and individual contractors, together with maintaining strong relationships with all parties to ensure successful delivery of a series of new support contracts.
As BISAP Project Manager you will be responsible for the delivery of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) Integrated Support Arrangements Programme comprising 6 projects. These individual projects take the scope of the 30 plus existing projects and combine them to produce contracts that last longer (10 vs 5 years) and cover more requirements. Working directly to the BBMF Deputy Chief Engineer, you will need to work closely with Engineering, Supply Chain and Commercial staff to guide and direct these projects through to contract using the Defence Sourcing Portal (DSP) IT tool.
The Typhoon Project is an enterprise between DE&S, the Royal Air Force (RAF) and BAE Systems, working with NATO Eurofighter 2000 and Tornado Management Agency (NETMA), to project manage the collaboration of the Typhoon Weapons Systems Programme between the four nation's, the UK, Italy, Germany and Spain.
As Typhoon Project Manager, you will be entrusted to lead and be part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for the delivery of new equipment, or, a major upgrade to an existing system. This could see you managing the acceptance trials programme for a new aircraft, being accountable for the delivery of a new capabilities, or developing a strategy to rationalise the provision of upgrades across a range of platforms.
By joining DE&S you will be supported in further developing your skills and experience of leadership and delivering successful outcomes with excellent career pathways within DE&S.
As a Project Manager your responsibilities will include:
* Leading, managing and developing multidisciplinary teams, covering a range of subject areas within associated semi-complex projects, multiple simple projects, or complex control accounts
* Being accountable for the delivery of project outputs within the performance/cost/time framework for a semi-complex project, multiple simple projects, or complex control accounts
* Ensuring the most cost-effective and efficient means of delivery, whilst mitigating risk and leveraging opportunities
* Embedding and adhering to all governance and policy and enable the required compliance throughout their team, ensure appropriate challenge and gain approval to deviate when necessary
* Supporting an open, honest, no blame culture. Actively highlighting failures and shortfalls positively and drawing through Learning from Experience (LFE) into the project or control account
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Experience of leading and managing a multi-disciplinary team delivering projects
* A qualification in APM PMQ/MSP or similar relevant qualification or equivalent work experience
* Experience of stakeholder management and negotiation skills at varying levels of seniority
* Ability to work autonomously and proactively in managing a changing workload
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Proficient IT skills in P6, Microsoft Word and Excel
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Controlling a Project
* Stakeholder Management
* Changing and improving
* Working together
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
About your team
The Project Management Function provides a pipeline of project professionals to deliver our complex programme of work. The breadth of what our Project Managers do, means a career with us gives you a fantastic level of variety and a genuine ability to develop your project management career. From developing the nation's future submarines to acquiring armoured vehicles, our work is at the forefront of fast-paced, cutting-edge project delivery.
Matchtech Group Plc is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.