- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Electronic System Specialist
Are you an electronics or systems specialist interested in working at the cutting edge of technology, collaborating with private business and government on a national and international scale?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for an Electronic Systems Specialist, to join our Defence Ordnance Safety Group (DOSG) in the Science and Technology (ST) Section 3, Initiation Systems Team.
The DOSG ST is a multi-disciplinary team of civilian subject matter experts providing independent technical advice and guidance on the Safety and Suitability for Service of Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives (OME), and their associated facilities and platforms. As an Electronic Systems Specialist, you will support the development of OME technology and best practice safety standards through communication, cooperation and coordination with the UK OME Safety Regulator, the UK industrial base, academia, and various national and international bodies.
This is a dynamic and progressive role and we are keen to support your ongoing professional development within this sector.
Due to security requirements, this role is open to sole UK nationals only.
Electronic Systems Specialist Responsibilities
As an Electronic Systems Specialist, your main responsibilities will include:
* Providing professional technical advice and guidance on Initiation Systems (IS) to stakeholders within and outside DE&S, in particular compliance with national and international standards, supporting project delivery and providing technology assurance as required
* Supporting the development of national and international IS policy and standards, as required for the assurance of safety and suitability for service of OME
* Contributing to the UK input at NATO standardisation working groups and national standardisation activity
* Contributing to experimental/development work required to ensure policy standards and assessments techniques are relevant to modern OME and support equipment and enable an understanding of latest technologies to be gained and exploited to the benefit of MOD
* Develop and maintain up-to-date knowledge of all relevant defence, national and international IS technical standards
* Supporting the development of tools, techniques and materials related to IS issues
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* Have experience in producing informed outputs, providing and successfully communicating complex technical advice to a variety of stakeholders
* Hold a relevant level 4 (or higher) qualification engineering or science discipline or demonstrate equivalent experience
* Have a significant depth of scientific and/or engineering knowledge and experience in your own specialist area
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Have experience in OME science or engineering, or another regulated industry
* Have experience contributing to standardisation
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Technical Decision Making - Supervised Practitioner
* Application of Analytical Techniques - Supervised Practitioner
* Making effective decisions
* Communicating and influencing
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.