- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Contractor support
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Client testimonials
- IR35 hub
- Our locations
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Project Controls Manager
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines.
Are you a Project Controls Manager looking for an exciting new opportunity? Do you want a role working on once-in-a-lifetime projects? If so, we currently an opportunity for a Project Controls Manager, here at the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA). From the very outset, this challenging position offers the potential to shape and define the project delivery of some of the biggest defence programmes in the UK today, including maintaining the UK's continuous at sea deterrent and the Carrier Strike Group.
As a Project Controls Manager, you will work hand-in-hand with our Project Management teams, driving delivery, ensuring the right structure, information and analysis is provided at the right time, and also ensuring decisions are informed and projects are successfully delivered. You will be empowered to drive accountability and will be responsible for estimating, risk management, cost control, planning, scheduling, performance reporting and management.
Project Controls are crucial to the successful delivery of our work and we are keen to support your professional development within this sector. This dynamic role could allow you to work on a diverse and exciting range of projects spanning across sea, air, land, cyber and space!
Due to security requirements, this post is open to sole UK nationals only.
As a Project Controls Manager, your main responsibilities will be:
* Key input in all stages of the project from initiation and planning, monitoring through to implementation and completion, ensuring the application of project controls processes are applied
* Day-to-day project controls activities: identifying, analysing and reporting on scheduling, earned value management, risk and cost management data
* Management of schedule development, maintenance, monitoring, impact identification and recovery plan development activities
* Forecast resource both SDA staffing and industry costs to support business planning
* Risk analysis and management and providing the analysis to support business cases and delivery
* Oversee relevant project data to identify problems and propose effective solutions or changes
* Analyse supplier performance information and Manage change to the performance measurement baseline
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will have experience managing at least one element of Project Delivery (e.g. risk management, estimating, planning & scheduling, cost control)
* Experience within a Project Control Manager position OR relevant experience within a project environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Controlling a project (Practitioner)
* Making evidence-based Support Decisions (Supervised Practitioner)
* Communicating and influencing
* Delivering at pace
What's in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, SDA promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an 'attend for a purpose' approach in relation to visits to site.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within the SDA - and it's one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within the SDA and our industry partners and professional bodies.