- Contractor resource centre
- IR35 tax legislation changes for Contractors: April 2021
- Contractor ways of working
- Report incidents & concerns
- Freelancer insurance
- Umbrella providers for UK contractors
- Using the InTime contractor portal
- Electronic payment documentation
- Rail Information, Policies & Safety Guidance
- Looking to hire?
- Send vacancy
- Our services
- Our sectors
- Workforce insights
- Career advice
- CV information
- Employment advice
- Interview advice
- Career advice from our recruitment specialists
- Client portal
- About us
Senior Maritime Structural Engineer
Are you enthusiastic about Naval Structures & Marine Engineering? Do you want to help deliver safe & capable submarines for operation by the RN? The SDA, have exciting positions available for Snr Maritime Structural Engineers.
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK's nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK's continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 2000 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
Are you passionate about naval structures and marine engineering? Do you want to help deliver safe, capable and available submarines for operation by the Royal Navy? We, at the SDA, have exciting positions available for Senior Maritime Structural Engineers to join our us!
In these roles, you'll work intimately with various stakeholders to design, build and maintain submarine structures for the Royal Navy. These unique roles offer the successful candidates the opportunity to own design intent for an area of submarine structure. In maintaining that design intent, you'll get up-close and personal with platforms and systems, overseeing engineering challenges unique only to this industry.
In return, you'll have access to our exclusive in-house developed 'Submarine Structures Training Program', supporting development of your skills and knowledge to become one of our expert Maritime Structural Engineers.
Due to security, these roles are limited to sole UK nationals only. Please note, whilst the preferred work location is Bristol, for some roles it may be possible to be located at Barrow-in-Furness, Devonport or Faslane.
You'll lead industry to either design, build or maintain Royal Navy submarine structures, managing key hazard certification, undertaking structural analysis, and providing technical expertise to the submarine projects from concept to in-service.
You will be developed to use submarine structures analysis tools along with Finite Element Analysis (FEA), whilst being responsible for the maintenance of a portfolio of submarine structures naval standards and guidance documentation.
Your role will involve the safety assurance of submarine structures for all in-service and new construction vessels, and typical responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
* Acting as reviewing officer for Structures Key Hazard Certification, developing safety arguments to ensure relative hazards are substantiated
* Undertaking FEA for structural analysis in support of submarine projects
* Providing subject matter advice to your project
* Assessing and advising on structural design change, material state evidence, defects, contract requirements and certification of key hazards
* Creating, reviewing and accepting maintenance requirements
* Maintaining and, when appropriate, writing structures guidance documents in support of projects and industry
* Responsible for product assurance and acceptance
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
* You will hold a Level 4 (e.g., HNC) or higher, qualification in a relevant Engineering subject or equivalent relevant experience
* Be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
* Have wide ranging depth and breadth of experience, or knowledge, of marine structures engineering or a closely related subject
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
* Knowledge, or experience of, structural standards such as PD5500, BS7608, or similar
* Experience of maritime design (preferably underwater) and its practical realisation
* Awareness of product verification, surveying or concession management
* Awareness of welding and NDE techniques
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
* Application of Analytical Techniques
* Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance
* Communicating and influencing
* Changing and improving
You can not apply for this job as its status is Closed.